Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information from someone who has rebuilt the dana 44 and 30's, perferably ones from a 1997+ wrangler.

I need to know if the oil slinger and baffle are used in the dana 44. I started with a bare housing so i have no referance. It was mentioned before that the starting pinion shim thickness is 0.042", and that gives almost a perfect pattern without the slinger. The slinger is 0.030" thick, so it changes the shim pack to 0.012".

My dana 30 in my TJ does have the oil slinger, but not the baffle, so i have to asume that the slinger will go back in, and not the baffle.

If anyone has the technical manuals for these axles the information would be most helpful.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Assuming the 44 is a FRONT, it will not use the baffle that is normally trapped by the inner pinion race. The slinger will be used.
Your assumption would appear to be correct, but I'm assuming you're putting a Rubicon 44 into a TJ where a 30 used to be......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's a TJ 44 rear and TJ 30 front... yeah i know, the 30 sucks, but until it breaks it's staying in there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
AggieTJ2007 said:
the baffle is not used in the rear 44. Thats how mine was put together
Correct. Mis-read on my part. Must be 'cuz I'm iin tne process of pulling a 30 for a 44, got fixated......

·
Registered
557 Posts
AggieTJ2007 said:
the baffle is not used in the rear 44. Thats how mine was put together
Correct. Mis-read on my part. Must be 'cuz I'm in the process of pulling a 30 for a 44, got fixated......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts