Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got what appears to be a good condition 61" Dana 44 off of a Wagoneer. It is a 1978 and has the round style knuckles.

I can get flat-top knuckles at the wrecking yard for $20 each. Do you think this would be the way to go (economically)? I will need to get them both drilled and tapped for hi-steer crossover steering. How much does this usually cost (the drilling and tapping)? I've heard of places that will exchange my round knuckles for drilled and tapped flat ones. I just want to do whatever method is cheaper.

thanks,

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm pretty sure that $40 ($20x2) is cheaper than the core charge I paid for my drilled and tapped flattops. In fact I think it was even over $50. Call whoever you plan on having do the work and see what they want for the core charge and make your decision based on the cost savings/loss and labor savings/loss.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Originally posted by BigBadBob:
<STRONG>I'm pretty sure that $40 ($20x2) is cheaper than the core charge I paid for my drilled and tapped flattops. In fact I think it was even over $50. Call whoever you plan on having do the work and see what they want for the core charge and make your decision based on the cost savings/loss and labor savings/loss.</STRONG>

hey, your website says:

"X shocks (all 4) notes $36.95ea from 4wpw.
Rancho 5012s for me. 19" compressed, 33" extended for a total of 14" of travel! "

i've looked for that 36.95 deal and can't find it ???

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
For the driver's side, if you get one off a Chevy, it will already be drilled and tapped so no need to pay to have it done for you. $20/ea is a decent price for knuckles.

I think I paid $50 to have the pass. knuckle drilled and tapped. Check my 44 swap page for the specifics...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ErikBeeb:
<STRONG>For the driver's side, if you get one off a Chevy, it will already be drilled and tapped so no need to pay to have it done for you. $20/ea is a decent price for knuckles.

I think I paid $50 to have the pass. knuckle drilled and tapped. Check my 44 swap page for the specifics...</STRONG>

Erik, thank's for that info about the Chevy knuckle. I've actually been using your website as a referance this whole time.

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: liveaxle ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts