Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I busted a Warn stub shaft on my 44 while out on the trail. My custom set up uses a Chevy stub shaft over the Ford since the Chevy is slightly longer allowing me to use the snap ring on the end of the shaft. I had to use a Ford stub as a spare on the trail which did not have the length to allow the use of the snap ring (Wheeled for 3 days like this) Question is, I got a good deal on two Superior alloy stubs but they are both Ford. Will it hurt anything to run these stubs without a snap ring on the end of the shaft. The Ford is maybe 1/4 inch shorter than a Chevy stub.

·
Registered
850 Posts
the snap ring is there to hold the stub against the hub. the shaft needs to be able to stay put while the hub moves the shaft in and out. float means the hub moves the shaft not the hub moves on the axle. skip the "deal".

·
Registered
623 Posts
I can find no use for the snap rings. So what if the shaft floats a bit? It's not going to move when there is tension on it anyway.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the instructions that come with the Warn Hubs and they say that in my axle (1979 Ford Dana 44) that the snap rings will not fit and not to use them. I guess it some times helps to read instructions :homer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts