Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im narrowing my Dana 44 out of a 77 f150. The inner shaft on the long side is 34.75" and I am looking to find a factory shaft thats about 4-5" narrower to match my D44 rear. The only requirement is that it have the 297x ujoint. Are there any factory length shafts that will work for me?

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
I believe most people who do this go to a wagoneer or scout inner longside shaft. Couldn't tell you exact shaft lengths off-hand.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm using inners out of an 80-84 Jeep Wagoner--passenger side is 32.12 inches; driver-side is 15.8 inches.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if the Rubicon inner axle can be used in the earlier D44s? It is the closest to the length that I am looking for and it is 30 spline like my HP44. I would think that parts would be easier to find also. I couldnt find the diameter of the axles so that may be the difference between the two.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Does anyone know if the Rubicon inner axle can be used in the earlier D44s? It is the closest to the length that I am looking for and it is 30 spline like my HP44. I would think that parts would be easier to find also. I couldnt find the diameter of the axles so that may be the difference between the two.
Good question, I would like to know also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well by looking at the chart it looks like they could be used. The only difference is the u joint but the 5-760x is just the new version of the 5-297x from what Ive read.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well by looking at the chart it looks like they could be used. The only difference is the u joint but the 5-760x is just the new version of the 5-297x from what Ive read.
Thats right.Looks to me like it would fit.Just a thought, I cut my HP44 down on the long side to Waggy length,this made my front axle about 3" wider thain the rear(not a problem) I left it long so on a sharp turn my 36.13.50 would not hit my springs and frame.(YJ spring over)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats about what Im shooting for. I am looking for 62"-63" WMS to WMS so either the Rubicon inner or Waggy inner would work to get me that width. Anyone have a passenger side inner Rubi axle for sale?

·
Registered
694 Posts
The 80-85 Wagoneer & Cherokee is 32.12 which is what I used on my HP44.If you are only cutting the long side the whole axle must go over half that distance, make sure you have clearance for the ft. drive shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts