Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting on a high steer setup on my scrambler. I bought a set of scout Dana 44 axles with Dana 30 outers (6 bolt spindles). I then purchased a set of flat top Dana 44 knuckles. I then had to purchase a set of chevy brake caliper brackets (i have a set of wagoneer brake caliper brackets as well, but they basically are the same thing). I set everything up with the chevy calipers, brake pads, etc., and first tried it with the dana 30 rotors. the rotors are too thin and with the caliper piston compressed to fill the gap, the pins are almost fully extended with the possibility of falling out with a little wear.
I then tried chevy 1/2 ton rotors, but the chevy rotors are 6 lug. I want to keep the same 5x5.5 wheel pattern. I also tried chevy S-10 rotors (which are 5x5.5) but they are too deep with backspacing and rub on the bracket.

What rotors does everyone use to convert to dana 44 highsteer knuckles while keeping the 5x5.5 bolt pattern?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You want to run every thing Chevy, except the hub and rotor from a Ford.
Now, hopefully you've the Chevy outer stub axle shaft....

I've some notes in my sig, or try the tech section BillaVista has a great write up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I would need new spindles too? I currently have dana 30 spindles.

We tried a ford rotor, but it ended up being the exact same size as the chevy rotor (almost exact!). I dont know if it was a late 70's rotor or not.

the problem is with the depth (backspacing). when the rotor is on, it rubs on the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the other exciting thing is that my flat top arms aren't even close to tall enough to get over my springs. i have very flat springs. The other reason for this is that the dana 44 knuckle sits alot lower than the dana 30 knuckle I originally had.

So, I spent the big bucks getting them machined and buying the highsteer arms, and they don't even work. They might possibly be high enough if I got the 1" spacer....but once again, i still don't have the correct braking system.

I'm debating going back to the dana 30 knuckles and bending the tie rod although I hate to do it. I'm running out of time with this.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have Wagoneer Knuckles machined for flat tops. I then used Wagoneer caliper brackets, chevy small bearing spindle, chevy stub shaft, chevy caliper and pads, ford hub and rotor.

Wagoneer - around an 80's model, not sure since it was a junkyard vehicle
Chevy - Spindle year unknown, brakes from around 78(have it written down at home)
Ford - 78 F-150

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr. N, your site is very good, in fact i have used it several times before.

So, let me see if i understand this correctly. I only need new spindles now to make these work? I also noticed that chevy s-10 rotors keep the same 5x5.5 bolt pattern and are the same size as the full size rotors.

I will look at some spacers or double high steer arms and see if they will work.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
chevy s 10 rotors are not 5x5.5 pattern

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the ones that I got from the part store where (I think they were early 90's). i actually was able to mount my wheel spacer to it and everything.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
s 10 is either 5x 4 3/4 or 5x5 cant remember which at the moment

ford , most dodge ,sammi and jeep cj are 5x5.5

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
s10 is 5 on 4 3/4 .. depending on what year spindle your using they make a small bearing and a large bearing .... depends on what year you use for the spindle i think the cut off is 77 and newer use big bearing ... big bearing are more desirable and just make sure you use a hub and rotor for the same year spindle .. thats the nice thing about the dana 44 they all interchange one way or another just about .. and on the flat tops not being tall enough .. get longer studs for them and put a 1 inch spacer in there that should get you over your springs ... ive seen 1 1/4 spacers too they go under the arm and give it alil more hieght on it .. good luck

·
Registered
654 Posts
I used a 76 Ford HP axle, put on Chevy small brng spindles from a Blazer (pre 80). Blazer outers, the same Ford rotors and hubs (bearings are interchangable). Used Grand Waggy backing plate and brake calipers from an 83 GW. Ground the outer locking gear in the hub down 5/32" so that the snap ring would fit on the outer shaft.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts