Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 half ton frd with a hp 44 front , my buddy has a big hub lp 44 with brand new 4.10s, i was wondering if the hubs will swap over so i can keep the hp? he only wants 40 bucks for the whole thing, any help would be great

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Depends on what that lp44 came out of. By "big hub" do you mean 8 lug? I know some d44s had bigger spindle OD than others, Ford, AFAIK, used the smaller dia only. But you should be able to swap the whole knuckle/spindle/hub assembly over.

·
Registered
356 Posts
well i am fairly sure that the low pinion 44 would most likely be closed knuckle so you wouldnt be able to swap the knuckles over which would mean no spindles and no 8 lug

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
76 and 77 F250 would be low pinion, open knuckle, disc, 8lug but I'm not sure about spindle interchange.

WTF are you trying to accomplish? 5 lug to 8 lug swap? just need new lockouts? We need more info here.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
What's the lp44 out of? I'm guessing chevy or dodge, right? So it's passenger drop? That'll still be open knuckle, just swap the knuckles over. As a bonus, it may have flat top knuckles that can be machined for high steer.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I'm guessing it would be the open knuckle low pinion dana 44 out of a 76 or 77 F-250. The big hub he is talking about is the huge ass lockouts those axles had those two years...

No clue on whether they will swap or not though.

·
Registered
715 Posts
76-77 F-250 open knuckle 8 lugs will swap from spindle out. It's called a Dana 44 HD vs the Dana 44 if you visit Jeff's Bronc Graveyard to see the differences of the spindles. Rotors are same as any Ford 8 lug D44 or SRW D60. Hubs / Spindles / big lockouts / And I'm pretty sure even the bearings are different requiring the larger dia. spindles. JBG has the replacement selector knobs at the cheapest price you will find. Those along with sometimes the pin that connects them to the select hub are the only weaknesses I've found besides the whole thing sticking out past a skinny tire risking getting smashed by a rock. The chevy and Ford selectable hubs are exact same for those years except the knobs are yellow for chevy.

Hope that helps. Can't believe nobody could give this a straight answer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
76-77 F-250 open knuckle 8 lugs will swap from spindle out. It's called a Dana 44 HD vs the Dana 44 if you visit Jeff's Bronc Graveyard to see the differences of the spindles. Rotors are same as any Ford 8 lug D44 or SRW D60. Hubs / Spindles / big lockouts / And I'm pretty sure even the bearings are different requiring the larger dia. spindles. JBG has the replacement selector knobs at the cheapest price you will find. Those along with sometimes the pin that connects them to the select hub are the only weaknesses I've found besides the whole thing sticking out past a skinny tire risking getting smashed by a rock. The chevy and Ford selectable hubs are exact same for those years except the knobs are yellow for chevy.

Hope that helps. Can't believe nobody could give this a straight answer?
ok so just too clarify it will swap from spindle on out but i will need too get is the bearings , and it will swap over. and im not trying too be difficult but im 17 ive got alot too learn.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
ok so just too clarify it will swap from spindle on out but i will need too get is the bearings , and it will swap over. and im not trying too be difficult but im 17 ive got alot too learn.
No you need to swap the knuckles and everything else over including the stubs

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Pretty sure you can just swap from the caliper brackets out. All the ford 44s with disc brakes used the same spindles. The reason you need the 250 caliper bracket is because they use a dual piston caliper vs the single piston of the 150. Not sure on the big hub 44 but you may have to swap the stub shafts out also.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Pretty sure you can just swap from the caliper brackets out. All the ford 44s with disc brakes used the same spindles. The reason you need the 250 caliper bracket is because they use a dual piston caliper vs the single piston of the 150. Not sure on the big hub 44 but you may have to swap the stub shafts out also.
Different spindles for a 44 HD...:shaking: Do my recommended homework to see please.

As for bearings, if you are swapping from a complete axle, swap hubs with bearings and all intact (if they are good). Brake brackets are different for half ton (duh) and same for "ALL" 3/4 or 1 ton Ford axles. Stub shafts are different on the 44 HD and will need swapped. The long inner is shorter on a half ton so you'll need to swap just the outer (from u-joint). Short side inner and outer slides right into a half ton unless sometimes a locker interrupts causing binding. Then you just grind 1/8 off of inner.
Be sure to check those spindle bearings while they are off. They are prone to fail and will weaken a stub by rubbing it to death. I usually soak spindles in kerosene if the bearings are stuck and try to free them. If success, dry the bearings extremely well, regrease and install spindles. If bearings are still bad, they are pretty cheap to buy new ones.
Only way to learn is to just do it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts