Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the outside diamter of the dana 44 axle shaft the same as dana 30? if not how much difference?

I want to weld C brackets for radius arms from a EB to a dana 30 from a wrangler

·
Registered
256 Posts
jeffseal said:
is the outside diamter of the dana 44 axle shaft the same as dana 30? if not how much difference?

I want to weld C brackets for radius arms from a EB to a dana 30 from a wrangler
The ODs of the axle shafts are different but you don't want to weld the brackets to them. You want to weld them to the axle tubes and they are different too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry that is what i ment the axle housing. how much different. what about the early dana 30s are they the same as the new dana 30s on jeeps. I need to figure a way to get bronco radius arms on a jeep dana 30

any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
the 44 housing O.D. is larger and your bound to lose some metal when you burn the mounts off. you will have to conpensate for this size difference somehow. you could "build" some metal when you weld the mounts onto to 30 if your good enough w/ the welder and grind it flush. or, you could get real creative w/ the torch and cut the through tube on both sides of the C so you still have the C's intact on a piece of tube. take your measurements, from the apex of on C to the appex of the other. then cut that in half, one C on each side. from the side cut out or grind out enough of the tube to compensate for the difference in diameter and weld that on to the 30 and match your measurement.

the more I type the more exotic this is sounding. sorry, it is possible but I'm sure someone else has a simpler solution... I guess I was just in the fab mood today. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The wrangler tubes are small, I believe they are only 2.5" outside diameter. Are you looking at the TJ or YJ dana 30?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bob, i dont have the $$ to go with a 44 i would also have to buy new wheels and new axle shafts for the rear becuase of the different bolt pattern.

I have been searching forever for the O.D and I.D. of both the dana 30 from a wrangler/xj and from a EB dana 44 and EB dana 30

anyone know where i can find it or anyone know what they are?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The O.D. can be found by taking a caliper and measuring the tubes on some random jeep in a parking lot.:flipoff2:
The old CJ dana 30's are 2.5 O.D., and I think this is the same as the YJ's. The old offset 44s that you would find in a flattie are also 2.5" O.D.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Get the high pinnon XJ axle.
XJ's with a 4 cyl and some early v-6's used 4.10 gears.
One shouldn't be too hard to find.
If it's a '96 or later it should have 297 u-joints.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
it is going on a 95 ford explorer.

I need to figure out how to get the metal c brackets that mount the Radius arms to the Dana 44 on a jeep dana 30.

I will call junk yards this week and try to find one out of an xj, that seems to be the best way.

I have also yet to find anyone that sells the weld on c brackets new. If anyone knows of a place let me know other wise ill have to torch a pair off.

What is the I.D. of a bronco axle housing? could i cut up an old dana 44 with the C brackets and slide them over the dana 30 housing and weld them on. I think i might loose to much of the bracket if i torch it off. :confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why cut up the 44 housing? If you don't already have a 30 the 44 will be just as cheap. What you are proposing will cost you the price of two axles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well if i use a 44 i will also have to buy new axle shafts for the rear to match the bolt pattern of the dana 44. and new wheels.

I figure i can get a dana 30 from a xj with steering and brakes for 300 bucks. ill get some EB coil buckets, f250 shock mounts, bronco radius arms, and some 3.5 inch lift coils from a bronco, some shocks, and a steering box from a ranger and i will be good.

I dont need the dana 44 housing, what i realy need are the metal C brackets that weld to the axle housing that the radius arms mount to. once I figure that one out i should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Its your lucky day I am tired of this thread so I will answer your question

here You may have to build up the tubes for these to fit but whatever. You could always put dodge outers on the 44 and have the little bolt pattern.

Axle Wedges
For the Bronco owner that is swapping front axles, these wedges make it much easier. No need to cut up a good front axle just for parts. These wedges are designed to weld onto a 2 3/4” O.D. tube, just like a factory Early Bronco Dana 44 but are easily modified to fit onto 3” O.D. tubing found on high pinion Dana 44 and Dana 60. Cast with all the correct configurations to fit the inside of a C bushing exactly like original.
#5340 Axle Wedges, $75

Try James Duff next time and save us the misery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANKS you are the man. I did look on james duff, and bronco graveyard but didnt see them.

The coils mount to the radius arms so i dont need to find a dana 30 set up for coils do I? wont one from a yj work? if so would a d30 from a yj be better?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
your best bet is to get one from a 97-00 XJ because of the HP or a 97 + TJ they are low pinion but any of these axles will have the larger 297 U joints which are far better then 260s. How ever any jeep Dana 30 from YJ,XJ,TJ,ZJ,MJ would work I would definatly stay away from the older ones with Vac. Disconnect axles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts