Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to run a dana 44 out of a Chevy Full size Blazer 89-91 depending on what truck I find, but what should I run for a rear axle. I am going to convert my 97 S10 to a solid front axle. I am curious what esle I need in order to do a sas on my s10 besides the axle, all the steering components, leaf springs, and some metal to fab. up all the mounting brackets? I have never done such a project so it'll be new to me and a few friends, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
~Kenny

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I'll start by saying that 89-91 Blazers didn't have D44s.
Next, they're full width so if you want a D44 Full width, you may as well run a 14bolt or D60,
semifloater if you get a 6 lug D44, FF if you go 8 lug.

Best bet is a set of axles out of a mid 70's 3/4 ton

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'll start by saying that 89-91 Blazers didn't have D44s.
Next, they're full width so if you want a D44 Full width, you may as well run a 14bolt or D60,
semifloater if you get a 6 lug D44, FF if you go 8 lug.

Best bet is a set of axles out of a mid 70's 3/4 ton
x2

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that the blazers had 44's but oh well. Could I use ford axles because I have a late 70's 3/4 ton ford that has no motor but it drove till the motor blew up and was wrecked last winter so i'm thinking those would be good because it was my gpa's truck so it was never beaten, which means the gears are hopefully in good shape, what does anyone think of that?
~Kenny

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
They did in the 70's......

Ford axles would make a good SFA candidate since you wouldn't have to change your t-case. As long as they're not closed knuckle anyways.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The late 70 ford axles are a good choice, Most were high pinion 44's, A select few were 60's. You could get them on the 3/4 tons with the snow plow option. I had a set that came with factory 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
They did in the 70's......

Ford axles would make a good SFA candidate since you wouldn't have to change your t-case. As long as they're not closed knuckle anyways.
No worries about closed knuckles, Ford went to open knuckles on 3/4 tons in 76, when they finally started using front disc brakes.
The 1/2 tons had open knuckle 44's from the beginning of the monobeam era.
(65/66) IIRC.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have been reading a ton about doing a sas and i am going to run for sure a dana 30 up front because all my steering compenents bolt right up and shock mounts are in generally the right location. They are strong enough to run up to about 35" tires which works for me. I am going to run dakota leaf springs, or cj leafs out front because they have a good arc to them and are about the perfect length for my set up. I am going to run a dana 44 in the rear, but i'm not sure if i need to run different leaf springs in the back besides my factory ones because they flex good enough and what not. So any other advice of opinions would be great also. If anyone on here has done such a swap with an s10 definitely shoot me a pm or an email at [email protected], with information about problems you ran into or suggestions you have for me.
Thanks!
~Kenny

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
i have some advice. DONT FAWKING USE A D30!!

just swap out your tcase to a pside and run the chevy d44, it will be 10x smarter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what's wrong with a d30? and i don't really wanna do a transfer case swap, I'd rather stick with the stocker.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
whats wrong with a d30, well its a weak under built peice of shit in a stock yj, add ing more weight on it is not going to help.

you can get 2-3 tcases that will be a direct bolt in swap, all you will have to do is cut a hole for a new shifter.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
how big of a tire are you running and what kinda offroad are do you plan on doing?

i used just crappy ol 10 bolts front and back but im running 33s and havent had any issues what so ever with these axles or truck for that matter

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i'm not super hardcore but that's all the truck will now be used for is offroad use, i mainly wanna make it for like rock crawling, and i would like to run 35's but i could most likely live with 33's.
What kind of 10 bolt did you run in the front? and did you run the factory 10 bolt out back or what?
~Kenny

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
there is some confusion here. stock rear s10 axles are called 10b's but they are the 7.5/7.625" variety. full size chevy's also use axles called 10b's but they are the 8.5" variety.

the first thing i would ask you is how wide do you want to be? if you want to be wide, then go full width. like mentioned earlier, 70's ford axles are a good choice because they are on the correct side and most are high pinion. if you want narrow, then just a jeep axle. the most common are the YJ d30 and the waggy d44.

i wanted the convince of finding spare parts easily, so i went with full width. plus, i like the way it looks. i went with f150 rears, they are similar to dakota springs, but a little softer. i kinda think mine is a bit too tall with the ford springs, but im glad it isnt that much taller with the dakota springs. i have about 12" of lift and 38's.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey DONAHUE what axles are you running then? So you used stock f150 leaf springs in front and rear then? What mods did you have to do to the steering or did it all just bolt up?
THanks!
~Kenny

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hey DONAHUE what axles are you running then? So you used stock f150 leaf springs in front and rear then? What mods did you have to do to the steering or did it all just bolt up?
THanks!
~Kenny
im running a ford HP44 from a 74ish f150, with chevy 8 lug outers in the front. in the rear i have a van 14FF. in the front i used the rear springs from an 88' 4wd f150, in the rear i have stock XJ front coils (4 link). my steering is a completely different setup than most, you can see it here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691648

but as far as the steering goes, you just need a different pitman arm, one that is reamed for what ever TRE you use. in my case, i used a standard ES2234R TRE. the axle end depends on the axle you use. if you move the axle forward quite a bit, it might be a good idea to use a astro steering box. they are the same as s10's other than they have the pitman arm facing forward instead of rearward.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rig's looking good don.

I like the top cut off the back look, maybe i should do that myself :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that i'm just going to stick with the stock steering box, and not move the axle forward at all. I know that it might be a good idea but i just don't feel it necessary in my build. After looking around i realized that I have an 87' f150 so i'm gonna use the rear leafs outta that for the front of my truck, but i'm still not positive what to run for rear leaf springs. Like i said before i am going to run a dana 30 front axle, dana 44 rear axle. But will it be harder to install a dana 44 front axle than a 30 because i can get my hands on a pair of dana 44 axles for about $400 that are completely with all steering stuff out of an old chevy 3/4 ton. I might go with the 44's if people tell me it's mainly the same install.
thanks
~Kenny

1 - 20 of 25 Posts