Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all outer stub axles the same length? I've got one that was eaten up by the spindle bearing and I'm trying to locate one. I just don't want to get the wrong thing.
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Are all outer stub axles the same length? I've got one that was eaten up by the spindle bearing and I'm trying to locate one. I just don't want to get the wrong thing.
Thanks
Frank
No, there are plenty of variants.

Would it really be that difficult to buy the one that was specced for your axle?

Seems like the common sense way to approach this, given your stated lack of knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'm going to assume that the axle came out of a chevy because it had that curved steering arm mounted to the driver side flat top knuckle. That warn site will come in handy with the measurements.
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
313 Posts
Be careful, the F250 and F150 HP Dana 44's for some reason have a different inner long side axle length. My buddy tore up a chromo because the spline engagement was something like 1'' of engagement

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Be careful, the F250 and F150 HP Dana 44's for some reason have a different inner long side axle length. My buddy tore up a chromo because the spline engagement was something like 1'' of engagement
True, but he's looking for a stub. On those models, the stubs are the same. There are different legnths between internal and external as mentioned, plus some HD's have a larger u-joint knuckle, and maybe some slight odd-ball varients, but by and large all models of normal, internal tooth hubs are the same legnth. Another issue you may encounter is snap-ring location, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't even guarantee getting that right if you ordered the exact same model. The older style hubs have been obsoleted and the stubs just are not made for them any more. You may need to cut a new groove or use a spacer.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thanks
Frank

no.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts