Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a guy w/ a Dana 44 off a 79 F150.. And I dont know CRAP about 44's, just 60's

What I was wondering is what would it take to get it to do high steer? I would have to get flat top knuckles, steering arms, etc? Will they bolt up and use the existing hubs and all that?

Also, spline counts? Are there weaksauce 44's out there? Is this one of them? Is it worth 250?

Thanks
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
This is what I have for mine so far.

chevy dana 44 flat top knuckles
chevy spindles
ford bronco 5 on 5.5 hubs.
cj7 brake rotors
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
A '79 F-150 has 30 splines and the 297X joint. Good! There is a link in a thread below this here that should answer all your histeer questions!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
$250 sounds a little high to me. around here, Michigan, you can usually pick one up for around $100 less. what kind of shape is the axle in? I picked up my 79 D44 and matching 9" for $300. Are you gonna run the radius arm setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Judd said:
$250 sounds a little high to me. around here, Michigan, you can usually pick one up for around $100 less. what kind of shape is the axle in? I picked up my 79 D44 and matching 9" for $300. Are you gonna run the radius arm setup?
There is a huuuuuuuuge price difference between east coast and west coast ;)

Here a Front Dana 60 can go for 1500. There you can get one for half that.

It was going to be leaf sprung, but the C's are cast so it was no good. I think I will try to get one out of a 250 as it has more of the things I want/need.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,142 Posts
An HD-44 sounds more like your needs since it comes leaf sprung.
I picked my HD-44 out of a 79 F-250 for $200, but I am going coils.
I have not started on my axle yet, either find some shop space or wait until warmer weather.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
Too bad your on the other coast, know where there is 2 44s with leafs not the coils. One is a 1/2 and the other a 3/4. From what I heard on here, at least the 1/2 tonner has flat top knuckles on it already, not sure on the 3/4. Can get those for $125 each, maybe less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
b454rat said:
Too bad your on the other coast, know where there is 2 44s with leafs not the coils. One is a 1/2 and the other a 3/4. From what I heard on here, at least the 1/2 tonner has flat top knuckles on it already, not sure on the 3/4. Can get those for $125 each, maybe less.
5 lug? leafs? Good condition?...working condition? 65"~ WMS-WMS? Flat tops you say? How would 250 shipped be?

I will PM you too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
SR5Dave said:

What I was wondering is what would it take to get it to do high steer? I would have to get flat top knuckles, steering arms, etc? Will they bolt up and use the existing hubs and all that?
Also, spline counts? Are there weaksauce 44's out there? Is this one of them?
You may have already checked this out, but there's a lot of good info here, Mr N's Dana 44
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top