Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Some 1/2 ton GMCs, around '67 and '68 used 44s in the rear. Not sure of the axle spline count on those. I would look at full-size Jeeps, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
What axle are you running in the front so we have an Idea of what width your at? Fullsize Jeeps (cherokees,waggy,the p/u commanche? had some ) had 44s in the rear.

Got any pics of your 10, I have a s10 blazer with fullwidth d60ff rear and HP44 front on 37's w/hummer rims. :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i want to end up with 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. i talked to gradys off road cuz theyre bout an hour and a half away from me and he was talkin bout cuttin down a fullsize jeep 44 and possibly doin the toyota outer part and stickin that on so that way i could have a dana 44 with 11" toy drum brakes. i forgot which he said was cheaper. i want the axle to be stock width, or 1" wider per side MAX. i want to keep same trac width as much as possible

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chevy's don't use Dana 44 rear axles, if they did it had to be before 67 sometime. The 12 bolt was used from 67-80ish.

If it is a old 44 it will have the not so good 19 spline axles. Look in a Scout or Jeep Truck. Look for stuff in the mid to late 70's and newer.

9" Axles do have a low pinion entrance and won't help you drive shaft angles.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Cutting down a full size Jeep or IH truck rear would be 1 option. Both tubes & shafts would need to be cut down & Toy drums probably need to be redrilled. Make sure the shafts do'nt have a taper next to the splines where the new splines would be. Not sure if rears have the taper like stock fronts or not.

Another option I would look at is a Waggy rear. They are already the right width, but 6 lug. It would need the flanges redrilled. I think '87 to '91 would have a centered 44. The AMC 20 in the '80 to '86 is roughly equivelant to a 44 (not like the 20's in a CJ), but not as many ratios available.

There's the Scout 44, but may be a little too narrow.

I used a Chevelle 12bolt. It's the right width, but has 5 x 4.75 to match the IFS front.

I do'nt know what you are useing in front or if you already have new wheels. Going 6 lug might be your best bet. You could use front & rear Waggys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.