Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Dana 44 axles that I'll be using for a project truck. The trouble is with the bolt-circle patterns. The front axle came off an early Ford Bronco, and has a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. The rear axle came off a Jeep Comanchee, and it has a small 5 on 4.5" pattern. I know that custom axleshafts can probably be made to get a 5 on 5.5" pattern in the rear, but that still leaves the brakes to deal with. Does anyone know of any Dana 44 rear axle that ever used a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern??? If such a pattern was ever used, I would probably just get the axleshafts made, and then simply bolt on the brakes....

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
Scouts and CJs, used 5x5.5

I believe this thread would be a good candidate for the newbie section. Peace

Ary

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
You should really delete this thread or move it to newbie forum. I think that a few Scouts may have possibly used rear 44's like that at about 59 inches wide. Would be a lot easier to just use a Scout rearend as is

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
My '86 CJ Dana 44 rear has 5.5 shafts, the axle is 56" wms-wms. I would just have custom shafts made. The CJ rears are hard to find, and I have already searched for a company to make a set of spare HD shafts. No one carries a stock upgrade shaft for the CJ-rear Dana 44, but Superior now makes a 33spline super kit, my only other option is custom set, about $300 a pair. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
there are a few options that meet your criteria.

What width do you need.... and did you SEARCH?? I know you have posted this in quite a few forums... and get the same answers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You could also get some aftermarket shafts.

Superior makes a shaft with dual bolt patterns

Scouts all had 5x5.5" patterns..

do a warn full float kit with 5.5" patter..

re-drill the stock axles on the D44.. Currie, Moser, Dynatrac, etc..

Get some bolt on wheel adaptors that change the bolt pattern over....

there are tons of options

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
Older Fords had them too, i know my 79 F100 has one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.