Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just swapping to a spool. Same shim measurements as what came out. .09 BL. Thinking pinion needs to go out .005 to .01. Would like a second check/opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This where I ended up after chasing it all over the place all night, and then resetting to start point. After resetting BL was at 14 :confused:. Brought BL into .006 and then moved pinion out .01 and this is what I ended up with. Had to walk away, shower and get to bed at that point :shaking: Was not happy with the way the drive side moved.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
A big key to setting up used gears is checking the BL before they are removed. 14 isn't that bad for a used set of gears. The pattern is the main thing, then worry about BL. Or don't. I gave a worn out set of 9" gears from my race car to a buddy. The perfect pattern resulted in 22 thou BL. He's running it going on 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Backlash

I don't think you have enough backlash; your on the toes... Can you try .008" or .009"???
Used gears can be a bitch to read...

Try loading down the pinion or carrier to spread out the gear marker...

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A big key to setting up used gears is checking the BL before they are removed. 14 isn't that bad for a used set of gears. The pattern is the main thing, then worry about BL. Or don't. I gave a worn out set of 9" gears from my race car to a buddy. The perfect pattern resulted in 22 thou BL. He's running it going on 3 years.

I don't think you have enough backlash; your on the toes... Can you try .008" or .009"???
Used gears can be a bitch to read...

Try loading down the pinion or carrier to spread out the gear marker...
Thanks for the info.

Working 12+ hr nights but will try to get a few minuets under it when I get home in the morning. Have only setup very few used gears, usually replacing broken ones and have never had this kind of issues before and did not realize that they might run with increased backlash, makes since because of the wear in on them.

I load the carrier up with a 3 foot bar between the back of the yoke and housing and then lock it in place to check the BL, and use the same bar between the ring gear and housing with enough pressure against it that I can barley turn the yoke by hand to check the pattern.

Like the long one in this set

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Setup

It is a real mother fwaker setting up gears under a rig...I feel your pain.:shaking:

Consider pulling the axle and setting it up on stands; maybe try spinning the pinion with a drill motor while loading the carrier with a block of wood. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but humping a carrier in and out is going to wear you down quick.

Check out these youtube videos...This guy in the video is great at explaining the process.

Ring & Pinion Set up, quick and easy with Jantz Engineering Pt 1 - YouTube

Ring & Pinion Patterns explained, back lash vs pinion depth - YouTube

:smokin: Enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, got home this morning and started playing with it. First I just kept pulling the pinion out keeping the BL about .01 until all the shims were out of it for depth. I completely lost the contact on the drive side and it looked like it kept moving to the inner edge :confused:.

This part goes to Bigburlynakedguy. So I just started opening up the BL swapping .01 from side to side. at about .022 the pattern showed up on the outer edge and high, ummm ok.

I swapped another .01, about .028 BL, and it showed up pretty good but still the split. No pic of this. So I started moving the pinion back in, moved it in .02 total and I am now at this point with .035 BL :eek:.

So then started increasing BL.

Swapped .005 BL now .033

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to separate for pic count

.029 BL

.023 BL

.020 BL

.022???

Yes dear god I know there is allot of pic's, sitting under the truck with the laptop doing this and using this as my note pad so I can follow my changes :flipoff2:

At this point I am at the conclusion I need to back up 2 changes and say fuck it/run it. Also, fuck re-using gears, just buy new ones from now on :mad3:.

Anyone got any inputs? Off to shower and bed.

·
Vendor
11,821 Posts
Why did you mess with the pinion depth if you were just swapping carriers? You don't need to...

I always check pattern and measurements before tearing it apart. Too late now...

Used gears can be a bitch sometimes. If it's a low pinion in the rear, then the drive side is pretty much ignored, because of wear. If it's low pinion in the front, then it's wearing on the coast.

From what I'm seeing, it looks way shallow. Add .010 back under the pinion and see what looks like. Put the backlash back to .008-.010. Then show me what you have. Also let me know which axle it is and location.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As per the first post it a rear Dana 44. Scout to be exact :flipoff2:

Didn't mess with depth until the pattern was off. The first set of pics are installed with same thickness shims as it came out with. This is the second set of used gears I have ever done, have done more than dozen with new gears, and the last time doing used ones was 15 or so years ago and didn't think of running a pattern check on it first.

OK, got to put phone down, need to be back up by 1500

These gears were installed and ran in the housing as a did/trail in 2003 and then it went to a trail only in 2008. They have had the crap ran out of them the whole time. Were rolled out 2-3 time to change posi clutches but nothing else ever touched on them.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
just WOW.:laughing: in your first pics if you were to do any thing it would have been to add .003 to the depth. that being said you should have just run what you had. it was good in that pic. maybe not perfect but close enough for government work.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just WOW.:laughing: in your first pics if you were to do any thing it would have been to add .003 to the depth. that being said you should have just run what you had. it was good in that pic. maybe not perfect but close enough for government work.
This conversation came up with someone that night also, just got overly anal about it I guess, re-learned allot that I had forgotten messing with it though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts