Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out what the junk I have lying around interchanges with. All axles are non rubicon.

I have an old 30spline ARB in the garage. It has a LP 4.88 R&P and was last installed in a waggy front axle iirc. (I sold my hp 44 to a guy for his cj7, but I wanted the arb back so he gave me his)

Will this R&P fit in my rear TJ d44? Iirc rubicon are different not sure about base 44. I believe the arb will interchange.

There is a possibility I may swap to jk axles, and a non-rubicon rear d44. I know very little about these, will the r&p or the arb interchange? I believe the axles are 30 spline.

I also have a Scout rears 44s with arb’s and 4.10’s and 4.88’s if that is different from the waggy. I don’t believe it is.

I am not sure if I am using any of this, it depends on what ring in pinon/tire size I end up with. I am just trying to figure out what my options are.

·
Rolling Mod
41,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search Newb!
I did. I found a lot of information on Rubicon axles but not much on the basic stuff. At least as it pertains to JK. Also unfortunately there are 4 billion Dana 44 threads and 98% of them are complete crap.

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Also unfortunately there are 4 billion Dana 44 threads and 98% of them are complete crap.
well that should tell you something about trying to use a dana 44 :flipoff2:

#5tonsorBust

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I am trying to figure out what the junk I have lying around interchanges with. All axles are non rubicon.

I have an old 30spline ARB in the garage. It has a LP 4.88 R&P and was last installed in a waggy front axle iirc. (I sold my hp 44 to a guy for his cj7, but I wanted the arb back so he gave me his)

Will this R&P fit in my rear TJ d44? Iirc rubicon are different not sure about base 44. I believe the arb will interchange.

There is a possibility I may swap to jk axles, and a non-rubicon rear d44. I know very little about these, will the r&p or the arb interchange? I believe the axles are 30 spline.

I also have a Scout rears 44s with arb’s and 4.10’s and 4.88’s if that is different from the waggy. I don’t believe it is.

I am not sure if I am using any of this, it depends on what ring in pinon/tire size I end up with. I am just trying to figure out what my options are.
JK axles are stupid. They aren't big enough, strong enough, or durable enough for 37's under your Unlimited. They are too much work to swap in for 35's.

Your rear 44 is good enough for 35's. You haven't listed any gears that will work for 35's yet. 4.88's aren't deep enough for 35's with the 42RLE. I run those with 32's and that trans.

The only reason to swap in a JK front is to get 5.38's and then only if it is cheap and ready to bolt in. Other than that, get a HP 30 throw away housing and build that with 5.13's if you know you are going to be close to 35's in tire size.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Go to a ring and pinion vendor's website and look up part numbers. If they're the same between models and years you'll know what is interchangeable.

·
Rolling Mod
41,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Go to a ring and pinion vendor's website and look up part numbers. If they're the same between models and years you'll know what is interchangeable.
Done- per Randy’s website, only the jk is different, and the base jk 44 uses the same r&p as the rubicon. Edit: the TJ Rubicon is it’s own thing.

TJ/LJ
YG d44 456

TJ/LJ rubicon
YG d44 456T-RUB

JK
YG d44jk-456rub (same gears as a rubicon)

Waggy
YG d44 456

Scout
YG d44 456

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Done- per Randy’s website, only the jk is different, and the base jk 44 uses the same r&p as the rubicon. Edit: the TJ Rubicon is it’s own thing.

TJ/LJ
YG d44 456

TJ/LJ rubicon
YG d44 456T-RUB

JK
YG d44jk-456rub (same gears as a rubicon)

Waggy
YG d44 456

Scout
YG d44 456
The Rubicon is only different because the factory locker is a 3 series carrier, even though it has 4.10's. There are Rubicon "thick" gears, which are probably what you are seeing.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I've never personally messed with it, just know it exists. What's so bad about the install?
I had a nitro kit and it came with a jk size gear that was drilled for pre-jk carriers. The jantz kit may not, other than that there are top hat shims due to different bearing spreads on the pinion. I'll add pics of a Tj 5.13 vs nitro "big pinion" 5.13.

Well, pbb is not cooperating

·
Rolling Mod
41,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JK axles are stupid. They aren't big enough, strong enough, or durable enough for 37's under your Unlimited. They are too much work to swap in for 35's.

Your rear 44 is good enough for 35's. You haven't listed any gears that will work for 35's yet. 4.88's aren't deep enough for 35's with the 42RLE. I run those with 32's and that trans.

The only reason to swap in a JK front is to get 5.38's and then only if it is cheap and ready to bolt in. Other than that, get a HP 30 throw away housing and build that with 5.13's if you know you are going to be close to 35's in tire size.
Thank you.

I was thinking of doing a front hp44 like this. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non-hardcore/2583785-right-track-lj-build.html i was kind of bummed that the jk/Currie diff can’t use one of my arbs. I absolutely refuse to ever spend money on a LP30 ever again. I was thinking of putting 5on 5 adapters on the TJ rear 44 for width (jk wheels are cheap in LA). A friend has a new jk44 forsale which is why I asked. A d60 rear is not in the budget at this time. I’m really not sure a front hp44 is in the budget really.

I am the kind of person that likes to ask a lot of questions and do research before spending any $.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I’m a shade tree mechanic and had no problems swapping take out jk gears into a waggy front housing with the jantz kit. The newer style is significantly bigger than the older style.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I've never personally messed with it, just know it exists. What's so bad about the install?
According to my gear installer, just about everything and he told me to never bring him another one. Of course, at the time I only did it to get 5.38's in a TJ rear 44 and since the advent of the thick gear sets, I won't need to do it that way again.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Thank you.

I was thinking of doing a front hp44 like this. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non-hardcore/2583785-right-track-lj-build.html i was kind of bummed that the jk/Currie diff can’t use one of my arbs. I absolutely refuse to ever spend money on a LP30 ever again. I was thinking of putting 5on 5 adapters on the TJ rear 44 for width (jk wheels are cheap in LA). A friend has a new jk44 forsale which is why I asked. A d60 rear is not in the budget at this time. I’m really not sure a front hp44 is in the budget really.

I am the kind of person that likes to ask a lot of questions and do research before spending any $.
Just be aware of the basic steering rules and know that if you compromise them, you will forever drive with the reminder that you should have paid attention to them. A shortened track bar will generate bump steer. If you don't mind some bump steer, have at it.

Also know that the JK housing is a fair bit bigger than the stock Rubi 44 and at low lift heights, it's a challenge to get it to clear everything. For what you are going to be doing, I'd strongly suggest you snag a TJ Rubi front 44 and toss it in. Bolt in, easy to build, nothing custom, works perfectly with 35's and there is a ton of non custom support for it.

This would be easier if we know what suspension height you are going with so the various issues can be discussed.

·
Rolling Mod
41,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This would be easier if we know what suspension height you are going with so the various issues can be discussed.
I would love to know that. Unfortunately I don’t know what kind of tolerance there is for Heights on the lift that will put me in and out of the jeep. I think it still three weeks out when I talked to them this week. Of course on Friday they had me taking pictures of the jeep for them so who knows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts