Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i dunno the answer to this sooo..

short side bronco d-44 same as short side scout d-44??? long sides also?
any other vehicles shafts compatable with the scout shafts??

thanks,
nate

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
I know EB and FS ford are different, about 3/4" shorter on an EB than a fullsize.

Not sure on the scout stuff though, but I believe they use the wimpy little 260 U joints anyway??

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
Nope and nope. Both lengths are different as well as the sline counts.

I have the warn axle chart if ya want it, and here's what it lists FWIW

Bronco (67-71) Long 28.06" Short 18.44" (27 spline) Stub (71-79) 9.72 (19 spline)
Bronco (71-79) Long 27.94" Short 18.31" (27 spline)

Scout (71-80) Long 32.91" Short 14.78" (30 spline) Stub (72-86) 8.72" (27/30 spline)

·
Premium Member
19,771 Posts
Bones said:
Nope and nope. Both lengths are different as well as the sline counts.

I have the warn axle chart if ya want it, and here's what it lists FWIW

Bronco (67-71) Long 28.06" Short 18.44" (27 spline) Stub (71-79) 9.72 (19 spline)
Bronco (71-79) Long 27.94" Short 18.31" (27 spline)

Your info is off.
27 spline Stuff is called Dana 30
Here are Warns Axle charts

http://products.warn.com/warn.nsf/pages/Truck.AppChart.FrontAxles.InnerShaft.html

http://products.warn.com/warn.nsf/pages/Truck.AppChart.FrontAxles.OuterShaft.html

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I'm not impressed with Warns chart. Found some errors, I've a small chart on my Dana 44 page. (It's linked from the article)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Warn's chart is a joke, I'd go with nearly anything Mr N. says over what Warns spews out.

My research indicates that Scout inners are 14.78" and 32.91" and no other common inner shaft matches up exactly, with the passenger drop Wagoneer's being the closest at 14.6875" and 33.1875"

Of course the 27 spline outers are Scout only, everyone else in the free Dana Spicer world used 19-spline outers on Dana 44's. The Scout outers are a popular swap into CJ Dana 30's looking to run 297x joints, so you may come across an upgraded Dana 30 with outer shafts that will fit your Scout hubs.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
4Bangler said:
Warn's chart is a joke, I'd go with nearly anything Mr N. says over what Warns spews out.

My research indicates that Scout inners are 14.78" and 32.91" and no other common inner shaft matches up exactly, with the passenger drop Wagoneer's being the closest at 14.6875" and 33.1875"

Of course the 27 spline outers are Scout only, everyone else in the free Dana Spicer world used 19-spline outers on Dana 44's. The Scout outers are a popular swap into CJ Dana 30's looking to run 297x joints, so you may come across an upgraded Dana 30 with outer shafts that will fit your Scout hubs.
In a pinch you could make the wagoneer shafts work if you had the correct outers. You would need to 'trim' the waggy long side inner a touch to make it clear but... that can be done with a metal band saw and ample coiling fluid :flipoff2: for the short side there 'should' be enough spline to make it work even at .10" short...
Just don't try and wedge the long side in with out trimming - it will go together but once you put it in 4x4 mode and add gas - you'll watch your u-joint explode...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
uglyscout said:
....make the wagoneer shafts work....need to 'trim' the waggy long side inner a touch to make it clear but... that can be done with a metal band saw and ample coiling fluid.....
Ha! seen it done trail-side with a hack-saw, major suck-fest indeed.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AZFord4x4 said:
I have a box of toothpicks... maybe we could use those as spares for your D44 shafts. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
BLOW ME FULSIZE BOY!!! :flipoff2:

dont make me make you be head grunt in charge of swappin scout shafts for a week!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.