Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was wondering if my fron dana 44 out of a wagoneer would withstand my 36 bias iroks if i put a locker in it? thanks

·
Registered
873 Posts
You can search all you want, the answer will always be maybe :flipoff2:

But do use the search, or wait for it to come back if you can't figure out how to google it before asking next time

·
Registered
611 Posts
yes it will hold but bring spare shafts :cool2:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The common consensus I found when searching prior to my build was that you were pretty well safe up to 35" with a stock D44. Any higher and you really ought to be thinking about alloy shafts. As was mentioned, fondness for the skinny pedal and driving style are major factors in the tire range you are talking for that axle.

PS.. Janster, I have a search button.:p

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dana 44s never did cut it for my 4 liter YJ. I'm an old man and my foot is not heavy. Even the 35" Walmart tires took out the front u-joint, stub, and outer. On another occasion my left rear shaft broke at the end of the splines. You might do ok in mud and sand, but if I were upgrading to 38s, I'd be looking for axles that would have 35 splines. And a bigger ring and pinion that didn't deflect.:shaking:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Auto or Manual??

I`ve seen d44 w/detroit 37"s and an auto w/4:1 last through some nasty stuff, and it's also broken at the inner splines 2 times...not bad for 2 years of on the throttle abuse. (up front d44)

·
Registered
230 Posts
just swap for some supiror/warn/etc... shafts and some CTM or the like U-joints and it will be much stronger. That is what i'll have to eventually due....after i brake the stock stuff that is

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Google is your friend too!
Code:
dana 44 strength site:pirate4x4.com
^-- type this in google --^

or

Code:
D44 strength site:pirate4x4.com
And FWIW... my search works as well. :smokin: :flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts