Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a part number for a reamer that will work for the cones on the high steer arms?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,625 Posts
ahh, I was bored and did it for you.....

some info

The standard reamer should work, just watch your depth as that will determine the depth and pitch of the final taper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wilson said:
ahh, I was bored and did it for you.....

some info

The standard reamer should work, just watch your depth as that will determine the depth and pitch of the final taper.

Thanks but I have that reamer already. I am looking for the one for the cones on the three bolts that holds the arm to the knuckle

Thanks
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,625 Posts
take the stud diameter and buy that reamer....should work , as I said, the depth of your taper will define the pitch, as it does with the rod-end reamer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,661 Posts
He's not reaming holes for tie rod ends. He is asking about the cone washers that are used to attach the steering arm to the knuckle. It is not the same 1.5" per foot taper as the tie rod ends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
Go check out BillaVists web page. He lists different tappers. You'll find tow that are close, real close. Now try to find a place that has them, good luck as I gave up.
Best bet call local mechine shops and search for a place that can shaarpen tappered reamers, they should be able to make you one. Cost is $100-$200 when I looked im Mpls/.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Hay is it the little cones with the little slice down one side then i would go to your junk yard and get them out of a old dodge 4x4. i know they have them on the driver side for the steering. I would bet chevy also has them, but know dodge has them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,267 Posts
Rockcrawler_101 said:
Hay is it the little cones with the little slice down one side then i would go to your junk yard and get them out of a old dodge 4x4. i know they have them on the driver side for the steering. I would bet chevy also has them, but know dodge has them.
He wants to drill the tappered hole that the split cone washer goes in. He isn't looking for a cone washer.......I don't know what you read:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,526 Posts
man the people around here are dense. :shaking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by TORC
He's not reaming holes for tie rod ends. He is asking about the cone washers that are used to attach the steering arm to the knuckle. It is not the same 1.5" per foot taper as the tie rod ends.

thats exactly what I was geting at:D

Originally posted by Mr.N
Go check out BillaVists web page. He lists different tappers. You'll find tow that are close, real close. Now try to find a place that has them, good luck as I gave up.
thanks that sucks though I was hoping to not spend more that 50 or so I will look around though

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts
I searched the world over for an inexpensive reamer and just ended up having them reamed by a local machine shop - I first tried a place in town and they wanted to ream me with the price $55.00, so I went to a place just out of town, that happend to have the right bit, and they charged me like 20.00 to ream the holes. He did it while I waited :D

So it pay to shop around - find the place that already has that taper drill bit, don't let someone buy the drill bit and pass the cost on to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
cone washer reamer

Second vote for the machine shop.
I work in one and on my 44 high steer arms I used a tapered end mill that had the correct angle.
Most machine shops will have one.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top