Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bent a rim on my last run and lost my bearing seal limping home. I am trying to repack bearings on a Dana 44 axle. The axle itself is a two piece thread on with a keyway to secure rotation. What is the trick to removing the key stock. There are provisions to access the key stock from the backside but I am not having any luck removing the key itself.:confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
the key is to unbolt it and make it an anchor!! :flipoff2: ;) not too many round here gonna know much about keyed axles since it is more of a dana 60 crowd, you ussually need a special puller to get the hub off then you can remove the key and the seal, might consider that flanged axle kit at this point!! good luck

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Um, I run those keyed axles with 35's.

You can't remove the key without pulling the hub first. You need a monster hub puller to separate the shaft and hub, they are not like those crappy AMC20 axles. JC whitney sells the puller it's called their professional hub puller costs about $50. When you use it, leave the axle nut on the end of the shaft, or you could take the hub through the head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeep77cj5 - you're right, that axle would make a good anchor. Two local shops have said that the tapered 19 spline axles are not upgradeable and that the axle would need to be replaced to get an upgraded axle. I have not looked very hard for a one piece axle to replace the stock one, does anybody know where to find a set?.

oldjeep - Both you and jeep77cj5 said to use a hub puller, I must not have looked hard enough, appeared to be threaded on with the key used to prevent rotation. I'll look at it again and see if it is pressed on.

Thanks for the help:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are the narrow track Dana44 on postal jeeps (DJ's) two piece axles? I can't think of another source of such a narrow 44, and you don't want to replace it with a narrow amc20 as it has the same shtty design flaw and some more of it's own.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I take for granted this must be a offset 44, if so I know warn makes a full floater kit for it but think it is still the course spline, you could try to find some axles from a 71, they are offset and 30 spline and will work in the older housing I think,,,,

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
61WILLYS said:
. . . Two local shops have said that the tapered 19 spline axles are not upgradeable and that the axle would need to be replaced to get an upgraded axle . . .
19 spline 44's are upgradeable to one piece axles and I believe Dutchman will make them for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts