Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
my buddy has one on a ranger dual cases with a 6cyl runs 39.5s been in alot of pinches, run fordyce 2 times rubicon 5 times hollister like 10 frank reines a few times no issues

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Essentialy a Dana 50 is a 60 housing, it looks the same until you pop the diff. cover, the difference is it has a Dana 44 sized ring and pinion, which is fairly strong, you can send it off and have it cryoed for more strength, now, the weak part I would be worried with is the neckdown shafts, they basically are a Dana 60 from the hub to where the shaft comes into the carrier, which is the neckdown. For a lightweight vehicle, with nothing larger than 37-38's and not extreme on horsepower I'd say you'de probably not have too much problems with it. Think about it, they put them in Ford diesel trucks forever and ALOT of them run large tires and no problems there.

Just my .02 though.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Dodge never used a dana 50. ;)

Exactly, so why in the hell is this in the Dodge forum? Why do people not understand to put questions to the people most able to answer them? Or are they just posting the same question in all the forums here? It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Dodge never used a dana 50. ;)
Exactly, so why in the hell is this in the Dodge forum? Why do people not understand to put questions to the people most able to answer them? Or are they just posting the same question in all the forums here? It's ridiculous.
Yep but a 50 would replace the shity CAD unit bearing 44 nicely that half the 1/2 tons came with.

Essentialy a Dana 50 is a 60 housing, it looks the same until you pop the diff. cover, the difference is it has a Dana 44 sized ring and pinion, which is fairly strong, you can send it off and have it cryoed for more strength,
Close but wrong. The 50 R&P is about half way betweem the 44 and 60. You are right about the cryo for strength though as well as getting better shafts.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Yep but a 50 would replace the shity CAD unit bearing 44 nicely that half the 1/2 tons came with.
My point is why would you ask information about a D50 axle in a Dodge forum where the Dodges clearly never came with them stock. What is the likelihood a Dodge guy would know anything much less care about a FORD axle?

Additionally, why would you even bother with trying to make a D50 work in a 1/2t Dodge application when you can bolt in a D60 in the '94-'01 trucks? All 3 axles would have the same axle shaft diameter anyway with the only difference being that you would get bigger u-joints on a D50 or D60. You can also get replacement 1 piece shafts if you dislike the CAD unit so bad. Personally, I've never had an issue with any of the trucks I've owned with the CAD unit.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
My point is why would you ask information about a D50 axle in a Dodge forum where the Dodges clearly never came with them stock. What is the likelihood a Dodge guy would know anything much less care about a FORD axle?

Additionally, why would you even bother with trying to make a D50 work in a 1/2t Dodge application when you can bolt in a D60 in the '94-'01 trucks? All 3 axles would have the same axle shaft diameter anyway with the only difference being that you would get bigger u-joints on a D50 or D60. You can also get replacement 1 piece shafts if you dislike the CAD unit so bad. Personally, I've never had an issue with any of the trucks I've owned with the CAD unit.
Simply because anything can go into anything. If a 50 is cheap or free when a 60 is clearly not. The 50 would be well worth putting into an older (70's-
80's) half ton. I would personally run a ford 50 before a newer bolt in dodge 60. For the reason of the CAD. A high pinion 50 is close in r&p strength to low pinion 60 dodge. The unit bearing is the same in strength. And its not the the cad system that bothers me. Its the weeknes in tube strength. I have seen them broken in two right in the cast! BTW I have an 01 1500 with a 44 and cad that I like just fine. Why not ask about ford stuff in the dodge forum? We all use from each other? I am putting a dodge 44 in the front of a suzuki sammurai. Not only did it not come with a dodge front end but a 44 either none the less. With a little narrowing it will fit just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
dana 50

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Simply because anything can go into anything. If a 50 is cheap or free when a 60 is clearly not. The 50 would be well worth putting into an older (70's-
80's) half ton. I would personally run a ford 50 before a newer bolt in dodge 60. For the reason of the CAD. A high pinion 50 is close in r&p strength to low pinion 60 dodge. The unit bearing is the same in strength. And its not the the cad system that bothers me. Its the weeknes in tube strength. I have seen them broken in two right in the cast! BTW I have an 01 1500 with a 44 and cad that I like just fine. Why not ask about ford stuff in the dodge forum? We all use from each other? I am putting a dodge 44 in the front of a suzuki sammurai. Not only did it not come with a dodge front end but a 44 either none the less. With a little narrowing it will fit just fine.
I'm with Mondster. Asking that here is just as dumb as asking about a 9.25 rear in the Ford forum. Yes, you could bolt it into a Pinto if you like, but what the fuck do Ford guys know about a 9.25?

And surprise surprise, the pic posted is of one in a Ranger.
Travis..

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I'm with Mondster. Asking that here is just as dumb as asking about a 9.25 rear in the Ford forum. Yes, you could bolt it into a Pinto if you like, but what the fuck do Ford guys know about a 9.25?

And surprise surprise, the pic posted is of one in a Ranger.
Travis..
You people are fucking stupid:flipoff2: crashn zuk do you only post in the dodge forum? Obviously not cuz I see you post in the ford jeep and suzuki pages also. Should anyone ONLY know stuf about one make or model? I know a little about all the automakers, and post in dodge ford jeep suzuki cuz those are the ones I like and know the most about. A ford 50 has just as much relevance in a dodge as cummins does in my 79 ford pick up. Or should one believe that its ok to put rockwells in a truck when DODGE NEVER USED ROCKWELLS. But a ford 50 is out of the question? I am a ford guy but have and have had dodges, and I know plenty about the 9.25. Just ask me in any page and I will tell you!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You people are fucking stupid:flipoff2: crashn zuk do you only post in the dodge forum? Obviously not cuz I see you post in the ford jeep and suzuki pages also. Should anyone ONLY know stuf about one make or model? I know a little about all the automakers, and post in dodge ford jeep suzuki cuz those are the ones I like and know the most about. A ford 50 has just as much relevance in a dodge as cummins does in my 79 ford pick up. Or should one believe that its ok to put rockwells in a truck when DODGE NEVER USED ROCKWELLS. But a ford 50 is out of the question? I am a ford guy but have and have had dodges, and I know plenty about the 9.25. Just ask me in any page and I will tell you!
:shaking: Dumbass, the original question was about the strength and druability of a FORD D50. Now don't you think that you would get more responses and a better idea of what the durability of a FORD D50 is in the FORD section than you would in the DODGE section?

Yes, you can put anything into anything. I bet you don't ask your Cummins questions in the Ford section though either do you?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
:shaking: Dumbass, the original question was about the strength and druability of a FORD D50. Now don't you think that you would get more responses and a better idea of what the durability of a FORD D50 is in the FORD section than you would in the DODGE section?

Yes, you can put anything into anything. I bet you don't ask your Cummins questions in the Ford section though either do you?
Any more I would ask my questions to the ford guys before here. Cuz I dont get responses like this in the ford section. But I rarely have questions. Mostly answers.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Since we are on the subject, does anyone know the torque spec for the passenger side, rear seat belt bolt on a '79 Fairmont station wagon? :flipoff2:

I'm kidding, but that is about the same type of question. You can ask anything you want, anywhere you want but this is Pirate and you typically get a web based ass kicking for posting something stupid. And we here in the Dodge forum agree that asking a question about a Ford axle here is pretty stupid. We have sense enough to know where to go to ask Ford related questions and expect the same. In the past this forum was cluttered up with nothing but constant BS and we finally raised hell and it stopped for the most part. So now we get a little edgy about random BS questions. We know Mopar stuff, we come here to read Mopar stuff and to maybe help out someone working on Mopar stuff, not to have random part trivial pursuit.

Ask a Dodge question with some grain of intelligence and we are as friendly as it gets here at Pirate. Ask something asinine and full of BS and you get BS back.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The 50 can be a pretty nice axle. A 44 has a 8.5" ring gear and the 50 has a 9" ring gear. Locker and gear options are slightly limited but not by much. They biggest problem in 30 spline only so I think that it would be well worth getting the side gears of whatever carrier you run broached out to 35 or find out if 60 side gears fit. They look to be about the right size to work. You should also shave the hell out of the bottom of it IMO.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Any more I would ask my questions to the ford guys before here. Cuz I dont get responses like this in the ford section. But I rarely have questions. Mostly answers.
Well, maybe I'll start asking all my Dodge questions over there then. That way I'll get some more friendly responses.

The 50 can be a pretty nice axle. A 44 has a 8.5" ring gear and the 50 has a 9" ring gear. Locker and gear options are slightly limited but not by much. They biggest problem in 30 spline only so I think that it would be well worth getting the side gears of whatever carrier you run broached out to 35 or find out if 60 side gears fit. They look to be about the right size to work. You should also shave the hell out of the bottom of it IMO.
I have often wondered how hard it would actually be to fit 35 spline axles in a D50. I've never pursued it any farther though because the only one I have any dealings with is in my dad's tow rig. No upgrades needed for his application.

The biggest downfall I see to the D50 axles is the unit bearing hubs and the stupid seals that Ford/Dana decided to use to seal the back side of the unit bearings. I'm not sure that you could get one resealed on the trail very well if you broke an axle and they are a pain to install (without the special tool) and expensive.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Isn't this thing only in the newer "super duty" trucks? If so, why would you want Fords retarded metric bolt pattern for your front wheels?
Travis..

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
You are missing the point. If there was a rockwell forum we'd probably say go ask there about rocks because you'll get better answers from people who live, eat, and breathe rockwells. Just like we try to steer all of the Cummins questions to the towrig section unless they relate directly to wheelin'. And for the record I think I've only posted once or twice in the Ford section, just because the topic showing on the main page interested me:flipoff2:
Travis..

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Isn't this thing only in the newer "super duty" trucks? If so, why would you want Fords retarded metric bolt pattern for your front wheels?
Travis..
There were also TTB versions of the D50, but AFIK the only solid axle D50 was in the super duty pickups.

LOL, I forgot about the bastard 8 lug bolt pattern on them.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have often wondered how hard it would actually be to fit 35 spline axles in a D50. I've never pursued it any farther though because the only one I have any dealings with is in my dad's tow rig. No upgrades needed for his application.

I actually pursued doing this but my dreams were shot down by Randy's ring and pinion, the Bearing journals in the housing are alot smaller along with the carrier. NOW, if you have the tools handy i.e. lathe and large press, you could have the housing turned out to accept the 60 bearings and turn it into a 60. Still, when it's all said and done you have balljoints, unit bearings, and unless you retubed you'de have a short drivers side tube leaving no room for coil springs, just coilovers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts