Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a stupid question:

I have a 97F250 that I tow with the dana 50 IFS auto locking hubs brake almost every time I put it in four wheel drive. Now that it is out of waranty I was gonna buy some Warn manual hubs. But everyone with the 60's doesn't seem to like the Warns and they say you have to buy a conversion kit to use them in place of the auto hubs. What is in the conversion kit? Is it hoaky? Who's hubs should I buy?

I don't get it in this one. I just use four wheel drive to launch a boat on the snow covered highway and on a few dirt roads usually pulling a trailer. I don't think I should need anything stronger than stock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Get them from a Junkyard, my 1996 has the warn manual hubs on them.

Craig

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
The conversion kit is required only if your auto hubs have three bolts which retain the covers. On those models Ford used some funky spindle nut system which won't work with aftermarket hubs. The "conversion kit" is just a standard spindle nut kit and you can order the parts from NAPA for about half the cost on Warn's "kit". See this link for info on Spicer part numbers: forums.ford-diesel.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=27&t=003312 . Getting rid of those POS autolockers will be the best move you can make. They suck! I went with Superwinch hubs and am completely happy with them. My winters are spent hauling a big, enclosed snowmobile trailer around so they see a lot of use.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: CSP ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts