Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The D50 is basically the inner strength of a 44 (little bit more) with D60 u joints and unit bearing hubs, and the clearance of the D60 (also high pinion) I sold one I had bought for $300 which is not a bad price for a complete 3/4 ton axle that is stronger then a D44.

Swap out the hubs for manual hubs, and call it good. I'd run it on a budget full width build I think with no larger then 40's.

As far as the unit bearings go, on a 8k lb diesel rig, they would fail faster then a 3-4k pound trail rig. I wouldn't spend $1800 on the free wheel kit unless they were stock axles in a stupidduty.

·
Registered
755 Posts
so would i be able to take everything from the knuckles outward off of a TTB D50 and swap it into my solid D50? and yes i'm on a budget, i'm a college kid that about shit his pants when i seen that ad on craigslist for the axle, i thought it was a dana 50 so i hauled ass to get there before anyone else did. I also want to swap hubs so i have the same 8 bolt pattern as my rear axle and not the gay ass 8 on 170mm or whatever it is.

·
Registered
923 Posts
no your ttb knuckles will not work. and if you prices it out it would be about as much to buy new dedenbear kingpin stuff and cut off your inner c's then it would be to get the dynatrack kit then it'll be kingpin. and if your trying to change your bolt pattern your cheapest bet is to just get 1" wheel spacers.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check ebay. Dynatrac was selling good unit bearing take outs for $50-100 depending on the auction. Not sure if they still do. If you check around you can get the bearings for alot less than $600/pair new. We bought a pair for a truck at work for about $350. I think it may have been NAPA with the company discount.

If you are having problems with the vacuum hubs, take them apart, clean all the crap they call grease out, and replace with a good grease. I used mobile 1. They worked much quicker and I never had a problem after that. The factory grease was dried up causing them to stick.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i dont know if its having vacuum problems its still not in my rig, i bought it after it was pulled out of a 1999 Super Duty, and its going in my trail rig

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
i dont know if its having vacuum problems its still not in my rig, i bought it after it was pulled out of a 1999 Super Duty, and its going in my trail rig
Don't fawk with them, I bought a set of superwinch hubs for $120 on my 60. I would of gone with the warns but they are $200 a pair. For every other axle in the world they are only $100 :laughing: :flipoff2:

If these fail for whatever reasons it'll get drive slugs, since I got an ARB anyways.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
A SD D50, like a TTB D50, uses a standard D60 lockout.
As for the bolt pattern, either spacers, or re-drill, those two would be the least headache inducing.

Useless fact, but TTB 50's U-joints are indeed 44 stuff, they're the same as what an old 44HD(closed knuckle) used.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
no your ttb knuckles will not work. and if you prices it out it would be about as much to buy new dedenbear kingpin stuff and cut off your inner c's then it would be to get the dynatrack kit then it'll be kingpin. and if your trying to change your bolt pattern your cheapest bet is to just get 1" wheel spacers.
Why don't the TTB knuckles fit the SD Cs? Curious

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The TTB Knuckles are true oddball D50 stuff, while the S/D 50's use a 60 C and knuckle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kinda diggin up an old thread but I'm trying to figure out if I can use the dana 50 C's to weld up a 14BFF to make a front axle and use 60 outer parts? Found the 50 for $150 and I have a 14 bolt that I had to replace in my suburban because some jackass welded the locking ring to the spindle so I cant remove the hub.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Kinda diggin up an old thread but I'm trying to figure out if I can use the dana 50 C's to weld up a 14BFF to make a front axle and use 60 outer parts? Found the 50 for $150 and I have a 14 bolt that I had to replace in my suburban because some jackass welded the locking ring to the spindle so I cant remove the hub.
I've never seen it done with a 14B, but have been involved in two threads on this board where they used Dana 50 knuckles.

Start a new thread, and before you do search a little more as the info is here.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with the Super Doodie Dana 50/Dana 60 parts for rear steer.

I don't like the stock outer stub shafts.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
He brings up a thread from 2001 and you are telling him to search?:flipoff2:
It was last updated in 02-05-2009

Just because you find an old thread doesn't mean you searched well :flipoff2:

21 - 40 of 96 Posts