Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Useless fact, but TTB 50's U-joints are indeed 44 stuff, they're the same as what an old 44HD(closed knuckle) used.
But not a new open knuckle D44

A TTB Dana 50 uses a 1350 series joint for the wheel joints which is NOT the same as a open knuckle Dana 44. How many closed knuckle D44's you reckon are still out there?

And not all closed knuckle D44 used that joint either, IIRC, the early 70's GM ones used the 5-260X like the Jeep D30

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
I don't see how that is possible. How would you compensate for the extra 1/4" of ring gear radius?
Due to the availability of the HP44(one or two leafspring around here) vs the HP60(vapourware) I have been looking (googling) into this swap. It seems Jason Bunch at Tri-County Gear has done it but I couldn't find a thread on here by anyone who has actually done it, although my sirch skilz at certainly not ninja like.

Perhaps the RD50 could be bolted into a 44 housing with larger side gears for a 60 axle... Oh Tim...

Stock 60/50 C's are the same apparently. Ponder, ponder.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
Man there is some bad oooold tech in this thread.. :laughing: What a difference 8+ years around these axles makes I guess but things like swapping old school warn lockouts on them is a bolt on and the wheel bolt circle can be changed at will if you can afford the new unit bearings.

Last I knew the 50 was used 99-04 in single wheel but all duallies got an actual 60. I'm sure one of you correcty correctersons will chime in and correct me. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
ttb50

I dont know who would call a ttb 50 junk or weak? they are not a d60, but a super upgrade for a ttb44 in all 80's fords, as they are a direct bolt in swap. I live on a large beef farm whear farm trucks get worked beyond belief and maintence is a never once a truck is lifted and put to work. I have three fords that have the ttb50 in the front and sterlings in the rear. A '81 f250, 460,4spd,7 inches of lift and 39.5 tsl's on the front and boggers on the back. this truck hauls 600 gallon of water twice a day and has for 3 sets of tires. It is run as hard as it will, and the front has never left us walking. the 84 f250 has a 460, 4spd , 6 inches of lift and 38.5 boggers. this truck hauls who knows how much feed every day. the hubs are always locked in and it is almost always in 4wd. every place we feed is a major mud mess and boggers are the only tire that makes farming possible for us. the other truck with the 50 in it is a '86 f250,351w,4spd, 6 inches of lift, and 38/11.00/16.5 boggers. this truck has not ever had plates on it and is used also every single day for just about everything. when you put a 50 under a truck, dont put junk parts in it if you want it to last. I use spicer x joints, moog ball joints, timken bearings, and warn premium hubs. if a 50 can take the abuse of farming full time and boggers every day, and a healthy big block/ 4 speed, I sure wont call them junk!!!!! Some people need to figure out what they are talking about before they talk about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ttb50

I dont know who would call a ttb 50 junk or weak? they are not a d60, but a super upgrade for a ttb44 in all 80's fords, as they are a direct bolt in swap. I live on a large beef farm whear farm trucks get worked beyond belief and maintence is a never once a truck is lifted and put to work. I have three fords that have the ttb50 in the front and sterlings in the rear. A '81 f250, 460,4spd,7 inches of lift and 39.5 tsl's on the front and boggers on the back. this truck hauls 600 gallon of water twice a day and has for 3 sets of tires. It is run as hard as it will, and the front has never left us walking. the 84 f250 has a 460, 4spd , 6 inches of lift and 38.5 boggers. this truck hauls who knows how much feed every day. the hubs are always locked in and it is almost always in 4wd. every place we feed is a major mud mess and boggers are the only tire that makes farming possible for us. the other truck with the 50 in it is a '86 f250,351w,4spd, 6 inches of lift, and 38/11.00/16.5 boggers. this truck has not ever had plates on it and is used also every single day for just about everything. when you put a 50 under a truck, dont put junk parts in it if you want it to last. I use spicer x joints, moog ball joints, timken bearings, and warn premium hubs. if a 50 can take the abuse of farming full time and boggers every day, and a healthy big block/ 4 speed, I sure wont call them junk!!!!! Some people need to figure out what they are talking about before they talk about it.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
This isn't farmer4x4. Running a loaded truck through mud is a lot different from bouncing off rocks and climbing near vertical walls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont belong to farmer 4x4, My mud rig is a 79 350, all alum. 429, 4 spd, scs drop box on 20 ton clarks, 66 inch r2's. My farm trucks get run just as hard as my 79, so you should owne a 50 ttb before you knock one

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You should practice what you preach :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
And for the record, if you would have read the thread you'd have known this isn't about the TTB 50's, it's about the SOLID AXLE version. Way to clutter the thread up with more useless rambling about shit that doesn't pertain to the thread topic.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The dana 60 in the dodge under my cummins holds up fine dragging motorhomes in the dirt. Put it on rocks and it breaks 60 parts like nothing. You're comparing apples to grapefruits.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
Ive seen my buddy run a Dana 50 for quite a few years running 40's on a Ranger. I think they are sweet for a cheap axle and the U-joint size is a major benefit over the Dana 44. He wasnt light on the skinny pedal either and only ever broke a stub shaft. Im currently rebuilding that axle/trussing and building high steer for a different friend ill post pics when its done

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I looked into it and there isn't a safe way to open up the carrier to allow for the 35 spline shafts.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm open to opinions.

I wanted to run smaller axles for the weight savings a Kingpin D60 is well over 500lbs.

I know what I'm doing is a lot of work for what I'm getting and if I really wanted to I could save up for Spider Trax axles but I wanted to try something different and I don't like relying on so many custom parts.

I'm going to run a HP60 rear so I don't really need a front axle stronger than my rear when the rear sees most of the loads. I'm building a light Ecotec buggy with less then 40" tires.

Front will be a HP44 center section from a 79ish F250. Have
The outers and shafts will be from a 2000 F250 super duty. Just picked up.
Both 30 spline so I can run the stock shafts for now.

The U-joints are the biggest problem on D44 they are just so little, and the more you steer the axle the more force you get on the joint etc.
This way I get larger U-joints. So now my spicer U-joints will be the same strength as the super expensive, super D44 U-joints

The Unit bearing is fine for me lighter than spindles and a lot stronger than a D44 hub. I'm going to redrill it for 5 on 5.5
And build my own Knuckles so I can build custom high steer arms and use smaller brakes.

Ball joints on the D50 are way larger way stronger than the D44. Just look the 2, the D44 knuckle doesn't look like it will last against the rocks.

The D44 can be upgraded to 35spline with an ARB. I actually have a stock set of 35spline SD D60 shafts, someone gave me.

Basically I'm going for a super duty D44 I was going to run a regular 44 but I figure it would be better to upgrade my size of my outer parts than just better metal.

It's a debate but I think saving the 100+ lbs in the front axle is a big deal, especially for a light buggy.

I'll keep you updated how my build goes I just picked up the D50 yesterday, $350 cheapest I can find in New England and the SD 60 from the F450 were like $1500 and only 1 in the area. Plus it is a dually.

~Justin

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If the 44 can be upgraded to 35 spline with an ARB I'll bet ARB could make up a 35 spline unit for a Dana 50 too.
I think Six States used to have a machine shop anneal, broach, reharden the side gears. I was looking at using a 50 and asked them about it. Pinion shaft diameter becomes the weak point.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts