Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think Six States used to have a machine shop anneal, broach, reharden the side gears. I was looking at using a 50 and asked them about it. Pinion shaft diameter becomes the weak point.

Are you referring to a stock carrier?

So if the side gears can be worked out, then I assume the carrier itself will accept a 1.5" shaft. Is that right?

·
Swag Sales
2,515 Posts
So here is a Dana 50 Q...or more like a story. I was walking through the scrap yard looking for metal and the kid working there was about to cut up this: IMG_1044.jpg
So I bought it for less then a song thinking it was a 60. Turns out its a 50. :( What should I do with it? The diff looks like is had plenty of room for a dana 60 gear. LOOK HOW MUCH ROOM THER EIS FOR ACTIVITIES! : Dana50.jpg

BOM says its out of a 99 SD. On a side note....I had a ford 8 lug HP 44 and both times I broke it it was the u-joint. Yeah its only for 30 spline shafts but the u-joints sem to be the weak point thus making the 50 stronger IMO. Now what do I do with it? Put a dana 60 gear in it? Shave it like a 14 bolt? I have 2 dana 60 rears...put the outers on the rear axle to make a LP60 front? I just bought a 99 SD so keep it for spare parts?

·
Registered
257 Posts
There HAS to be a way to run 35 spline shafts in a Dana 50. The Dana 44 guys are using 1.5" 35 spline shafts.....If you can talk to ARB and get a 35 spline D50 ARB, you could install that, and then install inner axles from a 60. That way they won't neck down, and drop down to 30 spline.

The only thing you would be giving up is some R&P size....

Put another way, it may not be a 60, but it sure as heck isn't a 44 either.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
There HAS to be a way to run 35 spline shafts in a Dana 50. The Dana 44 guys are using 1.5" 35 spline shafts.....If you can talk to ARB and get a 35 spline D50 ARB, you could install that, and then install inner axles from a 60. That way they won't neck down, and drop down to 30 spline.

The only thing you would be giving up is some R&P size....

Put another way, it may not be a 60, but it sure as heck isn't a 44 either.

The pinion shaft size being smaller than a 60 is what made me decide not to run it under my fullsize on 38s in the rocks. You could cryo to help with strength. I think it would be OK under most Jeep size stuff. It is def better than a 44.

You cannot put 60 guts in it, at least not without lineboring the housing etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Supposedly you can do a hybrid Dana 44/50/60
HP 44 housing
50 carrier and Gears
60 lock right
60 shafts?
Not sure about outers and such.
Something like that.
Can any one confirm that you can in fact machine a 60 lock right and stuff it into a 50 carrier? I haven't been able to find concrete evidence, pics, or anything that demonstrates that it is possible. I know Jantz was saying that you could machine 60 spider gears and slap them in a 50 carrier and weld them up. That works, but what if I don't want a spool, welded diff, or want to spend the money on a 35 spline D44 ARB? The 60 spider gears in a 50 carrier leads me to believe that it may possibly work, but like I said, I have yet to see any evidence of some one doing it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Supposedly you can do a hybrid Dana 44/50/60
HP 44 housing
50 carrier and Gears
60 lock right
60 shafts?
Not sure about outers and such.
Something like that.
Can any one confirm that you can in fact machine a 60 lock right and stuff it into a 50 carrier? I haven't been able to find concrete evidence, pics, or anything that demonstrates that it is possible. I know Jantz was saying that you could machine 60 spider gears and slap them in a 50 carrier and weld them up. That works, but what if I don't want a spool, welded diff, or want to spend the money on a 35 spline D44 ARB? The 60 spider gears in a 50 carrier leads me to believe that it may possibly work, but like I said, I have yet to see any evidence of some one doing it.

The D44 and D50 us about the same size carrier bearings actually I think the D50 are actually smaller.
That being said good luck trying to fit 35splines though, you can do it but it is going to extremely thin. Thinner than I would want to mess with. See if you can find the carrier bearing part number and look up the ID see how much room you could possible have.
You might be better off just cutting splines into an open carrier and converting it into a 35 spline spool, not going to be hardened.

When ARB puts 35 splines in an D44 they also us different bearings that increase the carrier bearing ID to make more room.

There was talk about ARB making a 35spline locker for the D50, I don't know where that stands.

that's the reason for the D44 carrier over the D50 To get 35 spline you can then install D50 gears on a D44, Jana54, then use the D50 outers which is the same as the D60.

If you don't have any requirments like to fit in a stock class then I would say just build a D60.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The D44 and D50 us about the same size carrier bearings actually I think the D50 are actually smaller.
That being said good luck trying to fit 35splines though, you can do it but it is going to extremely thin. Thinner than I would want to mess with. See if you can find the carrier bearing part number and look up the ID see how much room you could possible have.
You might be better off just cutting splines into an open carrier and converting it into a 35 spline spool, not going to be hardened.

When ARB puts 35 splines in an D44 they also us different bearings that increase the carrier bearing ID to make more room.

There was talk about ARB making a 35spline locker for the D50, I don't know where that stands.

that's the reason for the D44 carrier over the D50 To get 35 spline you can then install D50 gears on a D44, Jana54, then use the D50 outers which is the same as the D60.

If you don't have any requirments like to fit in a stock class then I would say just build a D60.
I was afraid of that. I'd still like to see if some one had done the 60 lock right in a 50 carrier and find out how it worked out. I really cant find much on the old Maxles. Its getting frustrating.

Another option is to just stick with a 30 spline shaft for now. I'm more worried about popping u-joints then breaking at the splines. I can always have shafts comp cut and cryo'd to fend off paranoia. I was trying to find the length of the D50 inners. My guess would be that they're the same or close to similar year D60 shafts. It would be nice to be able to use junk yard/off the shelf shafts. Definitely more cheap for sure. The only problem I can see is that I've got a 79' HP44, so if I remember correctly, the lengths of my inners will be different. 35 spline 78-79 60 shafts would be near perfect, which is why I was looking into a cheap way to run 35 spline shafts. It also would give some aftermarket options. Retubing is something I'd like to avoid, but we'll see what happens. This is something I'd like to try to get to some time this winter, but renovating the shop and rebuilding an engine and trans are going to come first. If I get to it, then I get to it. If I don't then I'll put my brackets on the axle and run the axle with a 50 R&P and explode shit with v8 power and gear reduction. :laughing:

A 60 is out of budget period. As stupid as it sounds, its much easier for me to do something that I can piece together at the moment. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Eh, maybe if I can come up with a cheapish way to stuff 35 spline crap in D44 that's easy to machine I could make some money. :laughing:

·
NERD
8,622 Posts
Brad,

Stay on the lookout for Dana 50s on Craigslist. I've seen them go for $100 all the time up here, you could get someone to pick it up (like me) and get it expressed to ya. Put the outers on the hp44 and have Jantz narrow the shafts if you want. Run it until you blow up the gears (how many hp44 gear sets are blown up outside competition???) instead of worrying. :D

As for 35 spline stuff, it's just the side years of the lunchbox locker that matter. Have you considered taking a regular 44 lunchbox locker and machining down some 60 35 spline side gears to slide in place of the 30 spline 44 side gears?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Brad,

Stay on the lookout for Dana 50s on Craigslist. I've seen them go for $100 all the time up here, you could get someone to pick it up (like me) and get it expressed to ya. Put the outers on the hp44 and have Jantz narrow the shafts if you want. Run it until you blow up the gears (how many hp44 gear sets are blown up outside competition???) instead of worrying. :D

As for 35 spline stuff, it's just the side years of the lunchbox locker that matter. Have you considered taking a regular 44 lunchbox locker and machining down some 60 35 spline side gears to slide in place of the 30 spline 44 side gears?
After talking to Tim, I have doubts about machining the D44 carrier to put 35 spline shafts in them. I'm not sure about the 50's either. After talking to him and absorbing the information, I now have about a million more questions.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be more easy to just pick up a 50 and shave the diff and run that as is. I certainly can not afford a 60, but if I sold the D44 and picked up a 50, then I could probably make a little money. Who knows, the hybrid would kick ass if I could get it figured out. If I stuck with 30 spline shafts and could find an off the shelf shaft that worked, then I'd jump all over that and abandon the whole 35 spline idea until I could afford a 35 spline ARB.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just picked up a dana 50 in Portland for 150.00 and thats the cheapest I have seen on cl for a year. The inner axle shaft measure 34.5 and 13.125 aprox. If you are looking for a 50 make shure the unit bearings are good.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Just to add some solid tech & food for thought.
The Dana 50 uses a HP 9" ring gear (I personally wonder if these are the gears a TruHi9 uses).
Essentially a factory HPBJ609 with too much housing.
I wonder how different the the ARB lockers really are between the 9" & D50.
Seems like a side gear swap & one could potentially toss factory 35 spline shafts in. How long before we see a D50 shave kit, akin to the 14 bolt ?
You can put that in your suggestions thread Trevin. :D

Ring gear measures 9.0".
30 Spline Axle shafts.
Gear Ratios: 3.55:1 - 5.38:1
No carrier breaks
Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375"
Pinion shaft splines: 26
Axle shaft diameter: 1.21"
Axle spline diameter: 1.31"

http://www.precisiongear.com/dana50.htm

Model........Ring gear size".....Max momentary output torque FT-lb
D30..........7.125...........2350*
D35......7.562.............2500
D35 super..7.79...........2700
Toy 8"............8.0 ................NA
D44...............8.5..........3460
GM10B...........8.6..........4500
GM 12B...........8.875..............NA
D50................9.0................5000
D60 30sp........9.75...............5500
D60 HD 35 sp...9.75...............6000
D70...............10.5................8000
D70 HD...........10.5...............8800
D80...............11.0.............10,000

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
The Dana 50 in the front of my 01 Excursion is high pinion as well as a 96 F250 I parted out. I would assume all of them are? :confused:

Derek

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just to add some solid tech & food for thought.
The Dana 50 uses a HP 9" ring gear (I personally wonder if these are the gears a TruHi9 uses).
Essentially a factory HPBJ609 with too much housing.
I wonder how different the the ARB lockers really are between the 9" & D50.
Seems like a side gear swap & one could potentially toss factory 35 spline shafts in. How long before we see a D50 shave kit, akin to the 14 bolt ?
You can put that in your suggestions thread Trevin. :D

Ring gear measures 9.0".
30 Spline Axle shafts.
Gear Ratios: 3.55:1 - 5.38:1
No carrier breaks
Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375"
Pinion shaft splines: 26
Axle shaft diameter: 1.21"
Axle spline diameter: 1.31"

http://www.precisiongear.com/dana50.htm

Model........Ring gear size".....Max momentary output torque FT-lb
D30..........7.125...........2350*
D35......7.562.............2500
D35 super..7.79...........2700
Toy 8"............8.0 ................NA
D44...............8.5..........3460
GM10B...........8.6..........4500
GM 12B...........8.875..............NA
D50................9.0................5000
D60 30sp........9.75...............5500
D60 HD 35 sp...9.75...............6000
D70...............10.5................8000
D70 HD...........10.5...............8800
D80...............11.0.............10,000
This is very good info. Its probably a long shot on the side gears though. I could be totally off base and maybe Tech Tim will chime in, but you'd lose a lot of material off the journals to fit the shafts in the lockers. Who knows if the side gears would fit, but even if they did, would the journals have enough material to remain strong? I don't know.

·
NERD
8,622 Posts
Werd Josh I'll have to add that to my thread in nonhardcore :D

I'd like to see dimensions of carriers - 50 vs 60 vs 9" - or at least a picture comparing the 3 or 2 of 'em. Maybe a picture of the 50, 60, and 9 lunchbox lockers?

Currie uses RC 8.8 gears in their hi9 thirds. Do they use regular 9 carriers or must they use 8.8 stuff?

·
Registered
275 Posts

I'd like to see dimensions of carriers - 50 vs 60 vs 9" - or at least a picture comparing the 3 or 2 of 'em. Maybe a picture of the 50, 60, and 9 lunchbox lockers?

Currie uses RC 8.8 gears in their hi9 thirds. Do they use regular 9 carriers or must they use 8.8 stuff?
Yeah, hopefully some one can chime in with a comparison shot of both 50/60/9 carriers and the respective lunch box lockers.

Either way, with the research I've been doing, it seems as though there's a fair amount of machining and work involved. For those of us with the means to do it or have it done and who already have a 50 or who want to build a hybrid with 35 spline axles, this could shed some light on some sparsely explored territory.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

I'd like to see the TruHi9 'proprietary' R&P alongside the D50 R&P . . . :D
I'm pretty sure currie uses the Ford IFS HP8.8 carrier (and gears, obviously) in the CHP 3rd ensemble.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts