Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd like to see the TruHi9 'proprietary' R&P alongside the D50 R&P . . . :D
I'm pretty sure currie uses the Ford IFS HP8.8 carrier (and gears, obviously) in the CHP 3rd ensemble.

Our gears are dimensionally the same as low pinion 9 inch gears if ya want to compare sizewise.

The Currie 8.8/9 HP uses 9 inch differentials, the ring gear bolt pattern is the same between the 8.8 and 9 inch Ford stuff.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Our gears are dimensionally the same as low pinion 9 inch gears if ya want to compare sizewise.

The Currie 8.8/9 HP uses 9 inch differentials, the ring gear bolt pattern is the same between the 8.8 and 9 inch Ford stuff.
What about compared to the D50 gears ?
If all 9" ring gears are the same size & D50 gears are reverse cut hp9" - how are they different than yours ?
I'm assuming the D50 doesn't have a secondary pinion support, thus making it inferior to your product - but is the ring gear the same ?

Good to know on the Currie stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The Dana 50 uses a HP 9" ring gear (I personally wonder if these are the gears a TruHi9 uses).
That is 100% no on TruHi9, those guys cut custom gears. The TruHi9 and ford 9" has a large hypoid offset they are really high or really low depending on which way you are looking.
Dana axles use a small hypoid offset closer to the middle
That's kind of why 9" have longer teeth and Dana has shorter teeth.
Fords"9 and TruHi9 also have the third pinion bearing.

are they really high pinion?
Pretty sure all D50 are front axles and all are high pinion.

The D50 housings are huge for whats inside. But it would be a lot easier in my mind to just shave the D50 housing like I said ARB is working on a 35 spline locker for the D50 you can call and ask again.

I was going to put D50 knuckles on my D44 basically use the money on larger U-joint and stronger ball joints unit bearings. instead of spending the money on expensive metals CTM etc. I will still do that if I run Class 1 limits to OEM size axle so TJ came with D44 so limited to a D44 housing.
But then I saw the light all the time money and work put in was better off just buying a D60.
We can get D60 around $500 around here I actually have a junkyard complete 80's KP DRW HP ford axle I'm trying to sell $500

Hell you can buy a brand new housing for around $600

I have a D50 all taken apart in my garage if you really need pictures let me know. The D50 carrier bearings have a smaller OD so might be what is taking the 35 spline lockers so long to come out.

Here is a little tech me installing D50 gears in a D44
http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10664&highlight=jana

Motive gear said they were going to come out with a 35spline D44 spool.

Another option I came up with was to buy a D60 35spline spool. I believe they are splined all the way through. They looke to have a enough material to whittle away a D44 spool.

Good luck let us know what you come up with.
~Justin

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That is 100% no on TruHi9, those guys cut custom gears. The TruHi9 and ford 9" has a large hypoid offset they are really high or really low depending on which way you are looking.
Dana axles use a small hypoid offset closer to the middle
That's kind of why 9" have longer teeth and Dana has shorter teeth.
Fords"9 and TruHi9 also have the third pinion bearing.

~Justin

I understand TruHi9 has their gears made by Richmond Gear.
My question is not concerning the hypoid offset, nor the pinion, nor the 3rd pinion bearing - all of which I mentioned above. My question is specifically about the potential similarities of the ring gears themselves, both of which are specified as HP 9" gears. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
D50
OD 3.25 LM104911A
ID 1.9685 JLM104948

D44
OD 3.265 25523
ID 1.796 25590

Not sure if that is correct for all D44HP but should be from an older Ford. There are standard bearings available up to 2.0 ID that fit the 3.25/3.265 OD's

Does the 35 spline D44 ARB have a 2.0" bearing register?

D60 is 2.25"

I almost have enough parts laying around to build a HP44 with D60 BJ outers so this is interesting to me.

Anyone have a D44 or D50 carrier bearing part number handy or the ID size.
Just to compare that to a 35spline shaft to see how much room you actually have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't mean to bring an old thread back from the dead or anything but im looking for some info. I bought an '00 Dana 50 for $100. the dude said it was a 60, but he lied, go figure! anywho, im converting my 96 f250 to 4x4 and I plan to use this D50 up under the front. im not worried about strength since ill be running a 35 at the most on a 460 gasser auto. I do not plan to do too much wheeling, I just want to be able to get where I need to go and not get stuck doing so.

my question is, is there a good bit of aftermarket for it? I don't plan to get lockers or anything just yet. I plan to drill a new set of unit bearings, warn lockers, new ball joints, rotors and onto my next question. will the 96 OBS TTB 2wd calipers mount up to the dana 50? and does anyone know off top if the steering links will be close enough to work without moving the steering box? I want 2" of lift MAX at this point.

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
I don't mean to bring an old thread back from the dead or anything but im looking for some info. I bought an '00 Dana 50 for $100. the dude said it was a 60, but he lied, go figure! anywho, im converting my 96 f250 to 4x4 and I plan to use this D50 up under the front. im not worried about strength since ill be running a 35 at the most on a 460 gasser auto. I do not plan to do too much wheeling, I just want to be able to get where I need to go and not get stuck doing so.

my question is, is there a good bit of aftermarket for it? I don't plan to get lockers or anything just yet. I plan to drill a new set of unit bearings, warn lockers, new ball joints, rotors and onto my next question. will the 96 OBS TTB 2wd calipers mount up to the dana 50? and does anyone know off top if the steering links will be close enough to work without moving the steering box? I want 2" of lift MAX at this point.
For warn lockouts, they're the same as the 99-04 Dana 60.

Brakes I'm not sure. The bracket and caliper on my 03 60 is from an 01 2wd, but idk about the interchange with OBS trucks, I'd recommend you start pulling part numbers from a parts store website and see if they cross reference.

The steering between 2wd and 4wd OBS trucks is different. (I just went through mine on my 97F-350) if you're concerned with budget, you can get all the parts, except adjusters, for under $100 from Rockauto.

·
Registered
22 Posts
for the steering, would I just need the drag link of the correct length? and did the 02 f250 w/ dana 60 have leaf springs?

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
for the steering, would I just need the drag link of the correct length? and did the 02 f250 w/ dana 60 have leaf springs?
Drag link and tierod are different, Between 2wd and 4wd OBS.
Then I'm sure you know that the tierod is different on the superduty axle to clear the diff cover. Idk how the two would mate up.

Yes, superduty' were leaf sprung up to 04.

Sorry to be clear as mud, my 03 axle is under my jeep.
My 97 came factory with the 60.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, I did even more research and it seems im going to have to scrap this axle and go a different direction. if I use a 05+ super duty dana 60, its just 3 brackets I need to make/modify and im off! the whole idea with the leafs is out the window. I don't like the RA setup but its a lot easier and itll be a D60 and not the D50. anso, if I do it right, ill be able to bolt up an aftermarket 05+ lift kit and it should all work the same!

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
well, I did even more research and it seems im going to have to scrap this axle and go a different direction. if I use a 05+ super duty dana 60, its just 3 brackets I need to make/modify and im off! the whole idea with the leafs is out the window. I don't like the RA setup but its a lot easier and itll be a D60 and not the D50. anso, if I do it right, ill be able to bolt up an aftermarket 05+ lift kit and it should all work the same!
Pm me if you want to sell the 50 and are coming through GA anytime soon.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts