Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. I'm not sure if this is the right forum....built a Dana 60 rear diff. Pattern was good and b/l was 0.007" although I added a thin shim to the opposite ring gear side at the last moment so I don't recall whether the reading was as built or not. It has Motive gears which are known for noise and these are noisy on decel. I took the cover off after about 200 miles. The pattern looks ok maybe a bit towards the OD. B/l is now 0.012". Would you leave it or move shims? I think the pre load was a bit more than suggested using a rubber mallet. I can post some build pics and current pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think I will give that a go. I found a chart that says to swap 0.008" of shims to reduce the backlash by 0.006". I think I still have my dummy carrier bearings but I will need some new ones too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Backlash spec for a Dana 60 is .006 to .010
I set mine to .006 trail rig only. if you drive it on the street .008 should be good and you won't over heat the gears

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must have screwed up somewhere. It was my first diff build. Wonder if I can save the bearings. It looks like you need one of those fancy clam shell pullers to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would make sense to have one of those pullers if you were going to do a lot of that type of work. I checked with one of the local shops and they don't have one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After ordering bearings, shims and a gasket I got to it today and took the cover off again. I checked the backlash in a few spots and now I get 0.008" . The contact looks ok I think. I have no idea why I was getting 0.012" before. Even the tranny shift kit install went well this week. I guess a guy has to get a break once in a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts