Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I coming over to the other side, 60's are going in this winter. i have been slowly gathering most of the parts and now it time, iam tired of the same repairs.

Anyway i was wondering what is going to be the next item or items that will fail because of the upgrade, and how offen is it happening to you or your buddy.

This is what the runner ( not a buggy )will have after its all done.

Items i will be adding
- front shortened ford hi pinion 60, 5.38 or higher gears, airlocker, new moser shafts.
- rear semi float 60, 35 splin detroit, same gears.

Items i already have on the truck
- dual case stock gears,
- 4 cylinder, 5 speed.
- bead locks down to 4-5 Lbs.
- 38s maybe bigger later.
- howe ram steering.
- front 3 link on airbags, rear allpro long leafs and rovalvers shackels.

Thankyou in advance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys theres got to be some 60 guys out there talk to me.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You'll be in pretty good shape if you have good driveshafts. (meaning, call Jess @ High Angle if you haven't already....) I'd guess your next failure point would be your Tcase output shaft, depending on how hard you punish your truck. (at least, that's what I repeatedly broke)

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
VERy nice.....

You will find, you want more PONIES!!

You should be pretty good, as mentioned, your t-case output will be about the weakest link... And that, will even take some abuse to pop...

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
look into aftermarket knuckles, depending on if you will be seeing the big rocks. dedenbear, or welderbuilt. search on the two. I would prefer the welderbuilts, but it's not my truck.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Running a ford you will definitly want bigger knuckles, add that to the list plus 35 spline stubs shafts and you should be in good shape.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Canadian Xtoys said:
Thanks guysthis is great keep it coming i need all the info i can get.

I Lean you mentioned driveshafts, at the moment iam running toy CVs and ends and the shafts are chromemoly 1.25 wall. I was just thinking of welding the 60 ends on to the shaft what do you think.
If I was to do it again in the rear, I would have gone with jess's 60/toy yoke..

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Have you thought about running Hummer rims instead of narrowing The axle? It will cut your tack width down and save the trouble of having to run custom shafts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
myeyesore said:
Running a ford you will definitly want bigger knuckles, add that to the list plus 35 spline stubs shafts and you should be in good shape.

Whats up with the stock knuckles they look beeffy to me :confused: and if this is so can we not just gusset them up somehow.

SHIT i never herd of the 35 spline outers, i already have new warn locking hubs, dont think there 35 spline thow. if i leave the 30 spline outs will that be the weak link ?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Canadian Xtoys said:
Whats up with the stock knuckles they look beeffy to me :confused: and if this is so can we not just gusset them up somehow.

SHIT i never herd of the 35 spline outers, i already have new warn locking hubs, dont think there 35 spline thow. if i leave the 30 spline outs will that be the weak link ?
They crack/break in half :D Granted, the only ones I have seen break, were running 42" tires..

The 30 spline outers will split, but, you only have a 4 popper. IMO, I wouldn't worry about that stuff as of yet...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm using one of Jess' toy/60 flanges with an all-toyota driveshaft. I'd do it again.

The 30 spline outers are still a huge upgrade over the Toy stuff you used to have, I honestly wouldn't worry about upgrading until you break. Same goes for the knuckles. Run what you have, be happy as shit you have a front 60, and upgrade if/when you need to.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Are you going to retube it yourself, to get the diff on the right side? If you are you should do a right up on it. I want a hp 60 too but I've heard getting the tubes out can be a bitch.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
One of our club members is runng D60's under his - eeeeiiiiuuuuu yuck - Jeepthingy, anyway, he broke one of his knukles and we just welded it back up with a brace, it's taken more abuse now than it did before it broke. Is this a D60 abuse below, and yep, he broke the left side inside axle doing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
with a 4 popper i would run what you have for now. the knuckles i have seen break were running full hydro on a high steer set up. i have a gm 60 in mine but i left the tie rod in the stock location for my full hydro setup and it has not caused me any issues. the first upgrade i would look into after you get it in your truck would be 35 spline outers. i broke 2 30 spline stubs before i went 35 and both took out the lockout and swelled the spindle to where i could not get the hub off. i ended up having to cut the bearings out with a torch. 35 spline outers start looking really cheap when you price a lockout, spindle, bearings, seals, and a new stub shaft that it takes to repair such a failure. granted i run a v8, 42's and a heavy right foot.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
RockStomper-Toy said:
One of our club members is runng D60's under his - eeeeiiiiuuuuu yuck - Jeepthingy, anyway, he broke one of his knukles and we just welded it back up with a brace, it's taken more abuse now than it did before it broke. Is this a D60 abuse below, and yep, he broke the left side inside axle doing this.
Yeah, looks like he Treads pretty Lightly!!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
OOP'S said:
Yeah, looks like he Treads pretty Lightly!!!!!! :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One thing you DONT know being that your from California and not out wheelin in Oklahoma, is that where that took place, IS a trail.

Disney, OK is a ton of rock but they have trails cut all through the woods just for ATV's and 4x4's.

It is an open recreation area and there are dozens and dozens of trails that have been made back there in the woods.

Yes, people do back into trees or bump em once in a while as some of the trails are narrow and slick.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
FatA$$ Toyota said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One thing you DONT know being that your from California and not out wheelin in Oklahoma, is that where that took place, IS a trail.

Disney, OK is a ton of rock but they have trails cut all through the woods just for ATV's and 4x4's.

It is an open recreation area and there are dozens and dozens of trails that have been made back there in the woods.

Yes, people do back into trees or bump em once in a while as some of the trails are narrow and slick.
OK, I stand corrected just looks like he is driving up them twigs, er I mean trees!!!!! :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts