Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
There isn't one inscribed in stone WMS length for any D60 rear axle. They were used under too many kinds of vehicles, for too long of a time. I'm sure given a WMS you could find one to fit your needs, or at least come close.

Plus a HD is only "Heavy Duty" in the sense that the housing has an extra rib. It doesn't have bigger bearings or different gears or anything cool. It's just a heavier boat anchor :) ...and when was the last time you saw someone break a D60 housing (yeah, it's happened...but not alot, and lots o hp).

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
IIRC the HD 60s have larger spindles and can take 35 spline shafts with out any machining.

There isn't one inscribed in stone WMS length for any D60 rear axle. They were used under too many kinds of vehicles, for too long of a time. I'm sure given a WMS you could find one to fit your needs, or at least come close.

Plus a HD is only "Heavy Duty" in the sense that the housing has an extra rib. It doesn't have bigger bearings or different gears or anything cool. It's just a heavier boat anchor :) ...and when was the last time you saw someone break a D60 housing (yeah, it's happened...but not alot, and lots o hp).

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would say most of them are 65.5" WMS to WMS, just like the standard 60's. Mine is out of a 78 Dodge W300 van and is this wide. When you say WMS most people think of it as a width and not a length. If you are set on a particular width, use a tape measure because it varies. Pay attention to the offset too, some have it some dont.

Not all of them have the big spindles, mine does not. Has the extra rib and 60HD cast into it all over.They do have some bigger/ different bearings and drums than standard 60's, ordered wheel bearings for mine and they were part numbers shared by the dana 70's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is a HD out of a 95 ford van and it has a 67 inch WMS on the right. Next to a 70U center and a 14bolt on the left. The HD's have a lot more webbing and beaf to the regular 60 FF. It doesn't look that much smaller than the other two axles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts