Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener. Searching answers most of my questions through my build, but i seems searching high steer doesn't bring up much about which kits are good/bad. I've saved steering for last on my build and want to go with full high steer setup, no crossover.

What I've got:
94 YJ, SOA, Dana 60 HP kingpin front, stock steering box no assist. No stretch. The build started 8 years ago and I drove out of the barn for the first time last weekend. No steering, of course!

I would like some feedback on which kits work best. Was thinking of going with Ballistic kit? Mix and match joints and arms from different sources? Just looking for some advice.

Thanks for the help
Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I pulled the trigger on Chassis Unlimited kit. Not bad reviews, made in the USA. It was in stock and looks like I should get it by the weekend. Now looks like I will be having fun with playing around with measuring twice a cutting once. Pitman arm length, alignment, binding issues, etc. Can't wait...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Reply back to this thread with how it works out for you. I'll be looking at doing something similar on my YJ in about.....8 years! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on Chassis Unlimited kit. Not bad reviews, made in the USA. It was in stock and looks like I should get it by the weekend. Now looks like I will be having fun with playing around with measuring twice a cutting once. Pitman arm length, alignment, binding issues, etc. Can't wait...
what kit did you get?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chassis unlimited 1ton complete crossover/high steer kit. Comes with everything needed for high steer. It's the first complete kit I bought. I usually try to make most of my brackets, but decided to get something that's proven. Making crap takes me forever.

I didn't opt for the additional dropped pitman arm. I need to get the kit mounted and see where I'm at with the stock pitman. Most likely it's not the drop I'll need, it'll be the length of the pitman arm that will need to be addressed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i just did high steer on my yj. ruffstuff 1 ton, chassis unlimited arms, waggy pitman arm and moved my box forward. (stretched)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just finished mine today. Wheeled it in the driveway. Overall happy with the chassis unlimited hardware. I will definitely need to go with a different arm. The turning radius isnt what i remember. i knew setting it up it wasn't going to be what i wanted. Haven't looked into the waggy arm, but I wil need a new arm with more length and relocate the box. I'm just happy I get to move it around. I haven't measured the alignment yet other than eye balling it. I had to lengthen each bump stop about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. So i know the tighter turning radius is there I just need get a longer arm.

·
Registered
173 Posts
waggy arm is flatter and longer to match length of high steer arms.

look into it.

i got mine box relocation bracket from wfo and waggy arm from teamgrandwagooner.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The waggy is definitely the way to go. Since my angles are just about parallel with the stock arm, the straight waggy arm won't be an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts