Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a axle truss for my 86 hp dana 60, and it needs to have coil mounts. Looking for ideas on how to build it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What are you doing that will require it to be trussed? There are plenty of guys out there running them thru some serious shit un-trussed.

Anyway, I'd build some reinforcement brackets up around the 4 link mounts extending along the entire axle along the pig as well. You can kick it out around the coil buckets and keep er goin

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I though of 50 different ways to build a truss with coil mounts and the fact that you only have about 2" of tube on the driver side of the axle. The best way I found was to box the drive side as much as possible, and triangulate the lower mounts to hold the axle in place and the driver upper that goes off the top of the diff off your truss. The problem is how to connect the truss to the driver side without getting in the way of the coil bucket. This pretty much rules out the idea of using tube to connect the two sides of the axle unless you raise the coil bucket up tall enough to clear the truss, which in my opinion looks like shit and either limits your travel or limits to keep a low lift. This leaves getting steel plate and bending it around the housing similar to BTF's truss.

If your putting the axle under a full size rig, the center of the leaf spring pads are just a little bit wider than the stock coil buckets, but if your putting the axle under a jeep or smaller truck the coils will have to lean in a lot in order to go to the stock. really putting the axle under a full size rig is a lot easier than under something smaller.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
He's putting under a YJ

·
Registered
3,307 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is going under a 89 jeep yj, fuel injected 5.0 ho mustang engine, 39.5x18 boggers, and a lead foot. I also like the rocks. I have to make coil mounts on the 86 hp dana 60 and I figure I would truss it b/c there is not a lot of room to weld on the drivers side axle tube, and this would also give a place for four link mounts, plus it makes the axle stronger, so i figures why not. Looking for ideas, pics would be nice.

·
Registered
299 Posts
how about trussing it on the bottom instead of the top.

the tensile strength for steel tearing is higher than steel crumpling under pressure.

you loose a small amount of ground clearance though.

guys that jump their trucks do it this way, i cant remember what kind of racing or class but i have seen it done.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well the problem is he wants to use it to mount suspension pieces

·
Registered
332 Posts
it doesn't need trussed. my last truck had a front 60 untrussed with a 600hp big block and 44" boggers and I love the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Still not the point, he wants to build the truss so he can put coil mounts on it.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I got mounts on mine with no truss, but single triangle

there is no room on it for anything but couil overs mounted right at the inner C

·
Registered
299 Posts
run a single sided truss then and just integrate the pass. side coil mount into the truss.

with it being an 86-91 d60 the short side is so damn short theres no need for a truss

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks hyde, my design will kind of look like that, if I get a c 6 np 205 combo, I will sell you the c 4- dana 20 combo, trying to get that bronco with the c 6.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts