Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
What parts are you using exactly, looks like gm caliper brackets. What is the brand of spindle(gm? or ford?) And those are definitely ford hubs, what is the axle stubs? If the stubs are gm and the spindle is gm, then the hubs wont work unless you modify it to work, which doesnt look like you understand how on that part yet
Simply turning the hubs down doesnt make the gm parts work together with ford parts.
If you have ford knukles and spindle, you could take a dremel and follow the original splines and cut your way into the stub and shorten it as a last measure if you cant come up with correct parts, and its not so bad to do, you would cutyourself a new c-clip groove also at the end.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Is the bearing hub on the right a Dodge with a bolt on driveflange? It looks too short to be a Chevy. Do you have a pic from the top?
I think I do, look later tonight.

It's not my "Chevy" part, I might have remembered it wrong. we'll have to clear it with the guy... Lame

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Here are the caliper pics as requested........this sucks:mad3:, Thanks guys......Dustin, pm recieved, I'll give ya a call, thank you
Thanks.

FYI, I was expecting this.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
He NEEDS to re do his hubs to chevy hubs or swp knuckles, spindles, stubs, brake brackets in order to correct the problems.
Good points...

Now the fun starts...
It's all guess work from here, but I think we can figure this out for him.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
RokYota,
Do you have the TTB 50 spindle?
If yes remove the current spindle and caliper bracket, and out.
Knuckle, TTB Spindel then Ford hub. Before someone skims the info, yes the bolt patterns will not match. Maybe one bolt hole near the top will work to hold it on? Or the press fit of the back of the spindle. (Carefull so the hub doesn't hit you if it falls off.)
Do the math on the axle shafts, and that will be the extra sticking out of the spindle.
Yeah it's missing the caliper bracket... Ok go ahead and add it after the spindle like the chevy style bolts on to the spindle. Get a pic of it hitting the rotor and post!

Let us know how it goes!

FYI, if were too slow you and you've money to burn there are faster ways to fix your issue...

- This is Only for testing, using a TTB 50 Spindle on a Dana 60 knuckle is a no-no! It's just plane not safe.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
RokYota,
Do you have the TTB 50 spindle?
No, I dont. I spoke with Dustin today, he pointed me in the right direction. Thanks again. I should be able to to use these hubs, but I'll have to do somthing different for calipers. I'll post up with my results.........

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
No, I dont. I spoke with Dustin today, he pointed me in the right direction. Thanks again. I should be able to to use these hubs, but I'll have to do somthing different for calipers. I'll post up with my results.........
I'd suggest posting what your doing here first.
If he is correct, there is nothing to lose and it may help people in the future that are searching.

I'd guess keep your calipers, and make a custom mount.
- Wait, That sounds familiar...

RokYota, I think you've some custom caliper brackets in your future...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It takes a relatively small amount of lathe work and has been done many times before. You need to make your ford hubs think that the chevy spindle is a ford spindle. To do this you need a 5/8" long spacer to make it the right width. It needs an I.D. that will press onto your chevy hubs with a slight interference fit, and an O.D. that is the same as the seal surface on a ford spindle. All you are doing is spacing the ford hub out to a position that works with the spacing on its bearings. You will end up with a wheel mounting surface that is 5/8" further out than if you had chevy hubs. You will also need to custom make some caliper brackets to work with that spacing but if you can turn 8 lug hubs to 6 lug then you can also customize caliper brackets.
Mr. N, this is what we discussed. And I'm currently searching for a wilwood or like caliper that will accept a 1.5'' thick rotor.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Mr. N, this is what we discussed. And I'm currently searching for a wilwood or like caliper that will accept a 1.5'' thick rotor.
Dang, how did I miss that post? :confused:

While your making the spacer, make a 3rd for a spare.
Please get a picture of the spacer on the spindle, maybe even drop the bearing on for a second pic?
Thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dang, how did I miss that post? :confused:

While your making the spacer, make a 3rd for a spare.
Please get a picture of the spacer on the spindle, maybe even drop the bearing on for a second pic?
Thanks.
You mean a 5th for a spare......I have 2 steering axles. Will do on the pics of the spacer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
You mean a 5th for a spare......I have 2 steering axles. Will do on the pics of the spacer.
Looks good!

I was leaning towards drilling out the Chevy knuckle to fit a Ford spindle... but I've never done it.
I've never seen the spacer option before, works better for you.

- With the bearing back all the way, how much distance until the spindle turns down in diameter? Doesn't look like as much room as the space needs to be... yeah doesn't have to be perfect, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
All right.....got all the spacers made and figured out a caliper. I'm using Ford Superduty calipers with '85 K-30 rotors on the Ford hubs with early 90's 3/4ton Ford wheel studs. The caliper lines up with the rotor and caliper bracket PERFECT !!!!! And to make the Chevy caliper bracket accept the Ford caliper bracket takes very little work. Heres a few pics......:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
wow that caliper mount is simple as hell. did the spacers press on easy enough?

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
All right.....got all the spacers made and figured out a caliper. I'm using Ford Superduty calipers with '85 K-30 rotors on the Ford hubs with early 90's 3/4ton Ford wheel studs. The caliper lines up with the rotor and caliper bracket PERFECT !!!!! And to make the Chevy caliper bracket accept the Ford caliper bracket takes very little work. Heres a few pics......:flipoff2:
Can you give a little more explanation on the caliper bracket? Possibly a short write up?

Thanks
-Troy

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can you give a little more explanation on the caliper bracket? Possibly a short write up?

Thanks
-Troy
Troy,

The caliper bracket is just a factory chevy/dodge piece. I just hacked off the caliper anchor thingys, lined up the superduty caliper anchors, marked the holes and drilled a couple 5/8 holes. I'm not sure if this will work with other hub/rotor assemblies. I wasn't expecting it to be this easy. I thought I was gonna have to do allot more fabbing, but the superduty calipers are very easy to make brackets for, so I'm sure you could make them work for any 1.5'' thick rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Your best bet would probably be to just take your spindle, or the measurements you need, to a local machine shop, and see what they will charge you. Look for a smaller shop, they will be more likely to want to do anything with it as a one off type of part, compared to a production orientated shop, probably will charge you less also.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts