Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Dana 60 DWR front end with a set of SWR hubs and rotors that came with it to swap out two things I noticed.

1. theres no room to put the snap ring on the end of axel shaft in hub (which dosen't seem to make a differance)

2. The brake rotor seems to be to far from calapier bracket for calaber to be mounted it's about an 1" away and needs to be about 1/4" away.

What am I missing here?

Thaks Rick

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Have you tried sliding the inner cone on the spindle by itself? does it seat against the spindle shoulder?

If the hub was only sitting 1/8" farther out I'd guess you were using the wrong inner cone. They Chevy/Dodge inner cone has a larger fillet radius to clear the fillet on the spindle.

Do you have the bearing cups seated in the hubs? To check take the sharp edge of a .003" feeler gauge and try to slide it between the cup and the shoulder on the housing. If it slides in anywhere they are not seated. For 3/4" different you could easily see if they are not seated. IIRC the inner cup is only about 3/4" wide.

It's possible you're trying to assemble Ford hubs on a Chevy/Dodge axle. The Ford hubs are 5/8" shorter than the Chevy/Dodge parts. I don't know where the rotor is in relation to the backing plate. I've never checked.

Start at the basics and work your way out.

Inner cone up on the spindle
Inner cup seated in hub
dry assemble inner cone with hub on inner cup with no inner seal. Does it fit?

Keep working your way out until you identify the problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so what your saying is it should fit (it is possible to swap) because I wasn't sure, it dose look like it mite not be seating all the way in but it would only be a differace of maybe 1/4"

I will have to pull it off and check the hubs it did look like the SWR hubs had a bigger spaceing between the inner and outer races maybe they are not chevy hubs

aleast I have some place to start now, I wasn't sure if the calipier brackets also needed to be changed.

Thaks Rick

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Chevy SRW hubs are interchangeable with Chevy and Dodge DRW hubs. The rotors are different thicknesses. IIRC Dodge is 1.25" thick and Chevy is 1.5" thick.

Ford hubs are 5/8" SHORTER between the inner and outer bearings.

Again, start at the basics and work your way out.

I suggest you delete this thread and start a new one in the NEWBIE forum. This does not belong here.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
I had a similar issue one time. I was swapping hubs on my Dana 60 and the one I was putting on looked identical in every way but wouldn't go on all the way. Turns out the diameter of the rotor was like 1/2" larger so it was interfering with the caliper bracket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts