Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody had a price on new inner C's for a 78 Ford 60. I'm going to cut the axle down and life would be easier if I could just cut the olds one off and press the new one on. If they are expensive then I will just use the old ones.

This is the first axle that I am cutting down and don't know how hard it will be to seperate the old ones. I've read many article on how, from freezing to heating and cutting the inside tube.

Any experience with cutting a 60 down will be helpful.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
use the old ones.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I narrowed my 60 recently and it's easy as could be. First cut with the chop saw is thru the weld that holds the c onto the tube. Next cut is to cut off the desired lenth of tube (you already will have measured this 3 or 4 times to be sure). Place c in vise and disassemble your hack saw, run the blade thru the hole in the c and make two cuts (top and bottom) into the remaining chunk. Hack saw blades happen to be .5", which is the thickness of the tube, so no worries going too deep into the c. Once you make the two cuts all the way thru, a BFH and a punch will get the two sections out. It took about 1.5 hours with a hacksaw, great tricep workout. Mind you a sawsall with a few bimetal blades would take about 10 minutes doing the same thing.

SeanP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts