Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much stronger are aftermarket Dana 60 inner knuckles compared to stock ford ones? making a hybrid so need to weld a set on either way, is the $500 worth it, and if so are any substantially better than others?

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
IMO it is not worth buying aftermarket inner C's. I have only seen 1 picture of a broken one. It was the top part that broke and a simple gusset would have prevented that.

Inner knuckles are forged steel, which is strong. Stock outer knuckles are cast iron, which is weak. That is why aftermarket outer knuckles are popular.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Inner knuckles are forged steel, which is strong.

Stock outer knuckles are cast iron, which is weaker and requires 99% nickel welding rod.

I'm sticking to this until someone provides other info.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
How many threads do you want me to link? I assure you...they are most definatly cast STEEL. 100% positive.

Prove yourself wrong....go lay a bead on one. Then on the diff....report back with results. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
How many threads do you want me to link? I assure you...they are most definatly cast STEEL. 100% positive.

Prove yourself wrong....go lay a bead on one. Then on the diff....report back with results. :flipoff2:
Check tech section for the specs for the outer knuckles...Outer knuckle construction: malleable iron...

A google search: Malleable cast iron is a heat-treated iron-carbon alloy, which solidifies in the as-cast condition with a graphite-free structure, i.e. the total carbon content is present in the cementite form (Fe3C).
Two groups of malleable cast iron are specified (whiteheart and blackheart malleable cast iron), differentiated by chemical composition, temperature and time cycles of the annealing process, the annealing atmosphere and the properties and microstructure resulting therefrom.

It's cast iron.

Gus

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
so basicly what you guys are saying is that stick with the stock inner knuckles and just gussest them?
Yes. Alot of people incorporate the shock mount and knuckle gusset in one but you can gusset the underside of it also. Dana 44/30's, especially Jeep Speed front axles need these because the inner knuckles are taller and thinner. Only about 1% of people with Dana 60 fronts (pivot bushing style) need extra gussets, the forged ends are good enough from the factory.

I am going to take a stock Ford and Chevy outer knuckle to the local foundry to see what they say. ;)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts