Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Cool rig.Is it a camper?I am assuming it is.Should be able to get into those hard reach camping spots!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
trac bar is personal preference
IMO you need to change to a normal crossover steering, the changes in toe when the suspension moves will be harder on tires for no gain in performance

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
MJ, in case you didn't notice/know, that my inverted stock draglink causes BOTH effects:
1. The flattening movement of the tierod causes a TOE OUT
2. The backward movement of the axle at compression PULLS the steering arm back in (TOE IN)

In otherwords, the tie rod end is slightly angled down and slightly angled backward which in effect is self-compensating. I just love the looks of the setup - the SYMMETRY!

However, I will continue to test the setup and if it sucks I'll get some DOM tubing and a couple of weld in threaded adapters. But for now I'm satisfied; this rig's not gonna see extreme rock crawling.

:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good question. And I have a good answer too :)

For some reason with this van, the right-hand frame goes outward about 30 degrees, from the point where the engine cross-member meets the frame. All I did was extend it straight, and gussetted it where the front cross member meets the fabbed "horns".

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
MJ, in case you didn't notice/know, that my inverted stock draglink causes BOTH effects:
1. The flattening movement of the tierod causes a TOE OUT
2. The backward movement of the axle at compression PULLS the steering arm back in (TOE IN)

In otherwords, the tie rod end is slightly angled down and slightly angled backward which in effect is self-compensating. I just love the looks of the setup - the SYMMETRY!

However, I will continue to test the setup and if it sucks I'll get some DOM tubing and a couple of weld in threaded adapters. But for now I'm satisfied; this rig's not gonna see extreme rock crawling.

:)

I call bullshit that it is "self compensating"
if you are happy knowing that it is fucked steering then its all good

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
More pics inside? Inside is nothing 4x4 . . . :)

OK I'll find some pics of the interior and post them:
1. Folding sofa/bed for 2; 25-gallon fresh water under the bed
2. Moveable desk and two rotating captains chair on both ends
3. A full 3-ft hallway, serves as provisonal bed for 2 more :)
4. 5KW inverter
5. 4-pc T105 battery bank, 2 each side under the floor, with access from inside the RV.
6. Dual 140-amp alternators
7. Entertainment ctr with Dolby 5.1 DTS Receiver with DVD player Surround Sound system
8. 17-inch ceiling flip-down monitor
9. Marine electrical center, 60-amp charging system + 30-amp solar
10. Split-system HVAC system, cooling and heating
11. 0.9 cuft 800W microwave oven
12. Galley/Kitchen counter, sink and faucet, with connection to outside shower, with cupboard
13. Undercounter 6-gal water heater, in series with on-demand tankless heater
14. Propane stove, adapted to propane bottles
15. 1.7 cu-ft refrigerator
16. 2.5-ft wide clothes closet
17. Onboard 2-gal air compressor
18. Toilet with Tethford cassette
19. Up front, you'll find the Garmin GPS sensor under the windshield
20. Console containing GPS connector, laptop rack, and 7-in rearview backup monitor
21. ARB locker, foglight, and floodlight switches
22. Down next to the driver's capt seat, is the 4WD Shift console on the floor
23. The passenger side seat is removed for easy ingress/egress; fire extinguisher, battery isolator, and the Vortec air intake system are found at the passenger side kick panel.
24. At the back there's a full height "patio" door.
I think that's it.

And oh I forgot, there's that heavy icemaker freestanding on the floor :) for margaritas.

And I really want to install a sunroof at the back between the stove and the restroom.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I really like that van, looks like a perfect expedition vehicle to me. :smokin:
Could use one of these for my Sahara trips, it's always lack of storage space in the Nissan.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,982 Posts
More pics inside? Inside is nothing 4x4 . . . :)

OK I'll find some pics of the interior and post them:
1-[snip]24
I think that's it.

And oh I forgot, there's that heavy icemaker freestanding on the floor :) for margaritas.

And I really want to install a sunroof at the back between the stove and the restroom.
How do you fit the SWAT team in there with all that junk in the way:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard part is done . . .

I've just installed the Dana 60 kingpin axle (from a 79 Ford) under the front of my GMC G35 van. It took a lot of fabrication, trimming, reinforcing/welding, and elbow grease but it looks impressive there now.

Note my version of high-steer using the 3-piece stock drag-link/tie-rods and a pair of Ballistic Fab springless steering arms.

Also note the missing front driveshaft, missing dust boots, and the transmission crossmember blocking the path (all easy left-over jobs).

Here's how it looked before I took the front end apart for the D60 Install:
How did this turn out overall? Did the steering work or did you have to do cross over?
I’m deep into a coil over set up on a 1973 g10. I’m stuck at a pitman arm that correctly fits the steering box. Once I can get that I don’t see an issues making drag link that will work.
I have a 2002 f-250 Dana 60 in there, with ballistic fab coil over mounts. the rest I built based on a document I found published by some university on how to build a crawler 3 link.
Also that’s a r2.8 in there, if anyone is wondering.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,999 Posts
How did this turn out overall? Did the steering work or did you have to do cross over?
I’m deep into a coil over set up on a 1973 g10. I’m stuck at a pitman arm that correctly fits the steering box. Once I can get that I don’t see an issues making drag link that will work.
I have a 2002 f-250 Dana 60 in there, with ballistic fab coil over mounts. the rest I built based on a document I found published by some university on how to build a crawler 3 link.
Also that’s a r2.8 in there, if anyone is wondering.

This shit is from 2009. You might want to just directly PM the guy who started the thread to get some direct answers or check out eye rate 4x4 dot com.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts