Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime lurker, first post. I have a 95 F250 and I am currently rebuilding a KP Dana 60 to do a SAS. I'm finding conflicting information and curious if anyone has an answer.

The KP D60's brake shields were rusted, cracked and paper thin, so I chucked them months ago and was going to run without them(they're only good for collecting rocks & mud anyways). It came from a 91 F350 and from the factory does not have outer axle snap rings or even grooves for outer snap rings(yes, some were manufactured like this). That being said, I have heard that the brake dust shield also acts as a spacer for the spindle and without it I will have binding issues. I should've cut out the spindle lug pattern part and left it on.

So does anyone with a KP D60, without outer axle snap rings, run theirs without brake shields successfully or do I need to source some used ones since they are no longer manufactured?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
The brake shields aren't going to matter. All you're doing is moving the spindle and everything on it inboard by less than 1/8"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brake shields aren't going to matter. All you're doing is moving the spindle and everything on it inboard by less than 1/8"
I appreciate the reply. That's what I'm thinking, but have found other people say that small amount of gap difference causes issues that are unique to axles without snap rings. And with internet searches, it makes things clear as mud! To make myself sleep better at night I may just take TTB D50 shields, cut out the ring portion and install just that..

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You're talking about the big snap ring that goes on the ID of the wheel hub or the smaller one that goes on the OD of the axle shaft?

Honestly either way I think it's fine without the shield. I have a 91 kingpin, no dust Shields and I've had a few different combinations of axle shafts and hubs all without issue. With everything assembled correctly there's still some back and forth shimmy in the axle shaft so there's some wiggle room to line everything up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're talking about the big snap ring that goes on the ID of the wheel hub or the smaller one that goes on the OD of the axle shaft?

Honestly either way I think it's fine without the shield. I have a 91 kingpin, no dust Shields and I've had a few different combinations of axle shafts and hubs all without issue. With everything assembled correctly there's still some back and forth shimmy in the axle shaft so there's some wiggle room to line everything up.
Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I'm talking about the smaller one on the OD of the end axle stub.

If it makes a difference, my D60 had the dust shield behind the spindle and in front of the caliper bracket, so it did set the spindle out slightly(I've seen D60's on Dodge & GM have the shield attached in front of the spindle). I'm probably over thinking it but after seeing other posts where people had problems I was concerned.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think it was 1990 forward none of the Ford D60 had the outer snap ring.
I used a later stub shaft on my 88 KP60 and cut the groove with a zip cut.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
I have heard that the brake dust shield also acts as a spacer for the spindle and without it I will have binding issues.

I would love to hear someone explain how the U-Joint is going to have binding issues, on a floating shaft with no snap ring on the end ....

You don't need dust shields, if the thickness of the dust shields were to throw anything off it would be the relationship of the caliper to the rotor, and it has enough clearance built in to more than compensate for the loss of a less than 1/16" thick dust shield .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to hear someone explain how the U-Joint is going to have binding issues, on a floating shaft with no snap ring on the end ....

You don't need dust shields, if the thickness of the dust shields were to throw anything off it would be the relationship of the caliper to the rotor, and it has enough clearance built in to more than compensate for the loss of a less than 1/16" thick dust shield .
I've found a couple of posts were people claim they have had issues without them, but not photos to back it up, that's why I was asking. That's good to know about the rotor/caliper clearance. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it was 1990 forward none of the Ford D60 had the outer snap ring.
I used a later stub shaft on my 88 KP60 and cut the groove with a zip cut.
From what I can find, I'd say 99% had them. I've also seen later than 1990 have them, so I'm not sure what the date range is - or if one was even followed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts