Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a dana 60 ff rear axle, Are the axle ends removeable? In other words, Is there a piece that can be cut off the end (Like the C's on a front axle) and relocated on the axle tube in order to shorten the axle? And is there any problem with shortening the axle shafts, besides the need for a machine shop?

I am not very familiar with this axle, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a newbie question, or are you trying to send me there because I am a newbie. If this question should be in the newbie section then I am sorry, I just felt that it was a more complicated question.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I dunno if they are available, but I sure wuold like to see someone sell an aftermarket spindle that slides over the tube like the front C knuckles does, and can be welded on to easily shorten a rear 60...

Seems like an easy money maker to me :confused:

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
You can get the SF ends from Strange Engineering for pennies. The way to do it is to yank the tubes, shorten, reinsert, weld.

Bryan

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The answer is yes you cut the ends off and then cut the tub to length and weld it back together.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
DRM said:
I dunno if they are available, but I sure wuold like to see someone sell an aftermarket spindle that slides over the tube like the front C knuckles does, and can be welded on to easily shorten a rear 60...

Seems like an easy money maker to me :confused:
Unfortunately it wouldn't work. D60's are not all built straight, the ends on the one in my shop were offcenter from the tubes by more than 1/8" Looking at the housing it's obvious that the pumpkin wasn't bored right in the center like it was supposed to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts