Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per order of White Rhino and our PM conversations I'm starting my build thread.

Here is just some misc info of the truck
-1994 Ranger
-Extended Cab
-4.0L V6
-AL4D auto
-electric t-case

Before I decided to swap in the Dana 60 this is what I had under the truck...
-Dana 35 TTB w/4.56 and lock-right
-Currie 9inch w/4.56 and detroit (a lot more to it then just this)
-8inch coil lift from skyjacker
-3 inch body lift

I originally was going to use a Dana 44 fullwidth I had at the shop and sell the 78' HP Dana 60 to fund the Dana 44 SAS. But I soon realized that the 175 bucks I paid for the Dana 60 was never gonna present itself again, I decided to stay with the Dana 60.

My plans for this swap are as follows.
-78 High Pinion Dana 60
-3/4 ton brake conversion to keep my 37x13.5x15 Pitbull Rockers
-2.5 Fox air shocks
-3 or 4 link front suspension
-high steer arms
-ARB locker
-4.56 gear ratio
-possibly hydro assist (if i have ANY money left)

Here is some pics of the TTB...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
looking good man have you decided on the link set up yet? what you doing in the rear? are you gonna still run that 9? what spline is it?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a lot more info to post up here. I've been running a four link calc and I'll be posting my numbers and info on that soon.

The 9inch has 31 spline alloy axles so that should hold up till I get a 14 bolt from a van.

Gimmie a few minutes I have a lot more pics coming tonight

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
right on how wide is the 9" also

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I got the 9inch built I got it to match the width of a factory Ford 8.8... If I knew I was gonna SAS the truck I would have ordered it full width. Oh well, I'll swap it into my 2wd 2002 ford ranger when i get the 14bolt.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to use either a 4 link or a 3 link w/panhard bar. So either way I needed to box in the frame and possibly cut out the engine X-member.

I had a lot of "stuff" inside the drivers side frame that had to go. The fuel filter was there along with the fuel supply, return and vent. The brake lines where in there and also the antilock brake control was in there. ALL HAD TO GO...

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To box in the frame I used that card board paper that students use for school projects, you know....that white thick card board...

Anyway, I traced out the frame pattern onto the card board and then I used a compass set to the thickness of the frame and traced around the pencil marks on the card board. That gave me a final piece of paper that fit inside the frame...

Then I transfered it to 10 gauge plate steel. The guy at the steel yard said 10 gauge is slightly thicker then 1/8inch, which is "closer" to what the frame is.

Here's some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some pics of the metal pieces for the frame.

I used automotive primer to transfer the shape of the template to the metal for a more accurate result. I held the template down with four fingers near the edge and sprayed from high above straight down. I did this all the way around the template then let it dry which took maybe 5-10 mintues. It was far more accurate then a thick line left by a sharpie marker and reduced the grinding time when fitting it perfectly into the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
r u gonna leave the engine cross member there or get rid of it. im building a 96 ranger w/ hp 44,9inch, linked and coilovers. build looks good keep it coming.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
what are you cutting with? I like where it going, did you rebuild that 60 aswell?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the drivers side tacked and TIG welded. Also a pic of the front section of the passenger side. There is one more to go behind it.

Don't be ragging on the weld job, I bought a $100 Cebrora brand tig welder and was eager to use it. It goes to 100 amps, is a scratch start and has NO foot control. Very crude welder...

You'll see what I bought to replace that $100 tig welder later on in the posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The engine X-member is getting cut out. That next on the list as of right now (4-16-07).

I used a right angle grinder with a 5inch cut-off wheel.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the Dana 60 got rebuilt. I have an ARB in the mail with 4.56's and a master install kit. The outter knuckles where completely rebuilt from bearings to the kingpins.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats as far as I got with the frame so far.

I did however get some parts from summit. They make a cool little adapter that goes from the Ford EFI to an 8AN fitting. So I got this made....

Notice the guys from Nyco where able to remove the fitting that went on the gas tank and crimp the new braided line to it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 419 Posts