Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, let me say I've set-up plenty of gears but only a couple of Dana 60's. I'm trying to install a set of 5.13's but can't seem to get it set-up. The backlash is out to lunch. I have a .110" worth of shims on the carrier to get the preload good, .060" on one side, .070" on the other. There was no r&p in the housing when I got it but the carrier was so the shims on the carrier were those for the 4.10's that were in it before. I started with .030" for the pinion depth and the backlash was around .100". So as I went through the process I now have the pinion depth at .057" (all the shims I have) and all the carrier shims are stacked to the ring side and I still have about .080" backlash :eek: :eek:

I checked the carrier to make sure I had a 3 series and after measuring the deck it seems that it measures 2.125" not the 2.260" (I think it is) it should be.

I have another carrier in another housing but I figured I'd ask before stripping it down.

Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Isn't the carrier break between 4.10 down and 4.56 up? Sounds like you have the wrong carrier from the info you gave.

I'm no expert though so double check for yourself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, they are thick gears and a 3 series carrier is 4.10 down...:D

Anybody know what the thickness of a thick gear versus a thin gear would be? I ordered thick, the box says thick gears, could it be possible I got a thin set of 5.13's, they're yukon gears.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Youve got the thin gear set and 4.10 and down carrier. either get thick gear set or new carrier. I just had to do my HP60 and grabbed the wrong spool off the shelf :shaking:

·
Registered
953 Posts
I ran into the same problem when I redid my rear 60. Bought a used carrier and was told it was a 4 series carrier, but it wasn't.

Had to use a ring gear spacer since I had already welded the carrier.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Sorry, they are thick gears and a 3 series carrier is 4.10 down...:D

Anybody know what the thickness of a thick gear versus a thin gear would be? I ordered thick, the box says thick gears, could it be possible I got a thin set of 5.13's, they're yukon gears.
Not sure what your grin is for, but since you are using thick gears, the series 3, which is for 4.10(4.30) and down numerically, is the carrier you want. Since I guess it is now safe to assume you are dealing with an HP front end, since you didn't dispute or correct info in that regard, did you install the .020" dam under the inner bearing race(or account for it), and did you install the .020" slinger under the inner pinion bearing cup which will net you a total of .040" additional pinion depth?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a thin gear set with a 4.10 down carrier, bonehead on my part for not confirming what I had, bonehead on the vendor or maybe the vendors supplier for having a gearset in the wrong box.

I talked to the vendor and he's gonna give me a carrier to resolve the issue...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts