Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at putting 30 spline outers into my LP D60.. gonna turn out the spindle bearing to accept a normal 60 bearing. Going to borrow a lathe tomorrow but my bearing hasn't arrived yet. Anyone know what the ID of the spindle or OD of the bearing should be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You cannot machine a bearing for so many reasons, hardness being the least of your worries. Are you talking about machining the hub to fit a larger OD bearing? Can't measure one now, but if you go to the bible, get the bearing number(382/387?), then go to Timken site, they may have the dimensions. It might even be 38.7 mm?? Or maybe that's the ID. Just guessing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I'm not machinging a bearing.. I want to machine the spindle to accept a stock 30 spline dana60 outer instead of the 16 spline I have now.

In order to do this I need to remove some material from the back of the spindle to allow the larger spindle bearing to be inserted. I think right now the surface on the shaft is 1.31" and it would need to be 1.5" to allow the shaft in there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 30 spline shaft is 1.31 also. The 35 spline shaft is 1.50".
Wow, huh. I guess no one gets into this stuff.. the 30 spine is 1.5" where the spindle bearing sits, then it tapers down to 1.31, the 35 spline just doesn't taper.

Anyway, I got the measurement and machine it out already. What I didn't realize is that d60 external hubs use an 8 bolt pattern, mine are 6 bolt. I'm gonna have to make something with my 30 spline side gears.. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wow, huh. I guess no one gets into this stuff.. the 30 spine is 1.5" where the spindle bearing sits, then it tapers down to 1.31, the 35 spline just doesn't taper.

Anyway, I got the measurement and machine it out already. What I didn't realize is that d60 external hubs use an 8 bolt pattern, mine are 6 bolt. I'm gonna have to make something with my 30 spline side gears.. :shaking:
Sorry. Totally missed what you were trying to do till the last post. I was actually thinking you were modifying the spindle for different wheel hub and bearings till you posted this, and I went back and read carefully. I had new spindle bearings I could have measured. Glad you finnaly got it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts