Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 60 Steering Q....YJ

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CWBYinJEEP 
#1 · (Edited)
Yes I have searched.

My question is...... are there any problems using high steer arms on both sides connected by the tie-rod... then the drag link connected to the tie rod in the stock location?

Any pics would also be nice

Thanks

#4 ·
I found the best set up for my D60 front was to stack the drag link on top of the centerlink at the high steer arm. Used 3/4 hiems and some grade umteem something bolt from Catepillar to accomplish this. The problem with running separate points on the right hi-steer arm is you will need to run a longer pitman arm if you wish to maintain your turning radius. Your pitman arm should be the same length as your kingpin/ball joint to link pivot on your highsteer arm for best results IMHO

#5 ·
CWBYinJEEP said:
Your pitman arm should be the same length as your kingpin/ball joint to link pivot on your highsteer arm for best results IMHO
Very good point about the length.

I installed the tie-rod below the histeer arms and the drag link above the hi-steer arm. *sorry no pictures yet*

Also for the ones that are doing some fab work it is best that the steering box is moved so the end of the pitman arm is putting the draglink and tie rod as parallel as possible.

JOSH

#6 ·
Thanks for the reponses.... stacking the heims scares me a bit....but I have seen it done by many. Running the drag link next to the tie-rod is still an option. I'm using 1" thick arms.

Oh yeah Hiapo... :flipoff2:

#7 ·
Swampy said:
Thanks for the reponses.... stacking the heims scares me a bit....but I have seen it done by many. Running the drag link next to the tie-rod is still an option. I'm using 1" thick arms.

Oh yeah Hiapo... :flipoff2:
If you have to stack your hiems, if room permits see if you can make a support bracket to angle down to the arm so that it is double sheer. With the arm being 1 inch thick that is already going to give pretty good support. With a grade 8 bolt as long as you do not have a lot of binding angle I would not be worried. This is just me, *Im sure you can get a lot of differant comments*

JOSH

#8 ·
also depends on if you plan to run a steering assist ram. That will take alot of load off the draglink. Stacking the Hiems scared me too in the beginning, but after a street accident(hit an aluminum ladder on interstate at 75mph with 38"swampers and beadlocks, blew tire and hit exit off ramp gaurdrail, sheared two H support columns off the gaurdrail with my high steer arm at around 40 mph). I grew to trust the set up totally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.