Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am working on a 35 spline stub axle conversion. When I put everything together, there is about a 3/16" gap between the retaining clip on the end of the stub axle and the face of the lockout hub. It goes together fine, but I am thinking the seals on the spindle might not seal very well if the axle is not pulled out by the retaining ring. Normally you have to pry the axle outwared to get the retaining clip on, and now I don't.. Any ideas??:confused:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
As long as all your seals are on there just throw on a washer or two... maybe I'm missing the question but this is like asking what direction to turn your oil filter to get it off.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
rcurrier44; said:
.....this is like asking what direction to turn your oil filter to get it off.
you get your oil filter off?

I remove mine.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
As long as all your seals are on there just throw on a washer or two... maybe I'm missing the question but this is like asking what direction to turn your oil filter to get it off.
no its not, its like asking if whether or not all the oil will leak out if the oil filter only goes on 3/4 of the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What I was asking is what is the purpose of the retaining clips. Is it to hold the seals up against the spindle, or is it to align the ujoint with the knuckle joint? What is an oil filter? haha Just thought there might be somebody that actually knows what goes on in a dana 60.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Often when you put the cap on (outer locking hub face or flange cover) that bolts to the lock ring, it pulls it out towards the end and takes up that space.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Very few companies that offer hubs care about the spindle seals keeping water and dust out of the spindle bearings and wheel bearings. Some driveflanges have a spring to hold pressure on the seals. On some designs the small allen bolts that hold the cap on pull the snap ring on the stubshaft out in place of the spring.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts