Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

After over 10 years of running a hardened rear LP 44 and LP 30 I've decided to upgrade my 97 TJ to Dana 60s, my definitions of hardening being Warn 5.5 front hubs/Warn 5.5 full floater/Warn shafts/Custom high steer based on WJ Knuckles/Fully greasable UJs (each cap greasable). Although during the 10 years I've broken front/rear 4.56 R&P several times, front/rear ARB twice, the odd front shaft and UJ along, I've been happy to do the repairs. However, recently the breakages have become more frequent, the last breakage occurring within 30 minutes of starting competing - I take part in a Winch Challenge events where you have to get your vehicle to a fixed point and then punch a card with an orienteering punch - please take a look here for more info.

In the past Dana 60s have not really been an option for me due as I live in the UK, take into account local taxes, shipping, import duty $ price can easily be inflated by 30-40%. However recently I managed to purchase a pair of 2nd hand very low mileage Dana 60 TerraCRDs that are fitted with 4.56s & ARBs, the axles originally being installed under a CJ.

I'm fairly sure what I'm going to do with rear, plan being to widen it using locally sourced CRD tubing, convert it to full floating using bits from Branik and fit new shafts. My only issue is what calipers to use, I need ones that include emergency/parking brake - need mechanical brake to pass UK vehicle road test. Does anybody have any recommendations? Going full floating is very important, UK conditions are very hard on bearings so being able to easily grease/replace bearings is a must.

However I'm not so sure what I'm going to do with the front except for widening it, reversing pumpkin and hi-steer arm. Looking at axles, the knuckles appear huge to me, using the attached pic can somebody please tell me if my knuckles are stock? I'm thinking of replacing them with Dynatrac knuckles and Inner Cs. Also any ideas of how I could shorten the length of the hub, they are 5" long which means they are slightly proud of my tyres, I currently run 10.50 wide tyres on 15x8 with 4 back spacing. Like to make them approx. 4" in length. Doing some research I reckon I can possibly shorten them using drive flanges and Dynatrac mini hubs.

In making the move to D60s I've accepted the weight penalty (however keen to hear any ideas on how I could loose weight) and will be negating loss of ground clearance by moving from 35s to 37s (largest tyre I can run without breeching competition rules).

Sorry for a load of questions, however as I live in the UK I'm totally reliant upon internet research and forum advice plus I have no option but to get things right first time - shipping wrong parts back to the US costs me a fortune!

All advice very much appreciated.
Mike C aka Cuffy

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're going to be doing alot of mud, go with the 37's, and shave the bottom of the 60's to maximize clearance.

And though many would disagree, I would go with a unit bearing-style hub up front, they're sealed, so they don't have to be cleaned everytime you go through the swamp.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. Going with rebuilder hubs as its far easier to repair etc, bearings supplier 10 minutes from home vs waiting for parts from the US. Taken a look at Blackbird site, will be getting in touch with them.

Over Christmas, been doing a lot of measuring. Even with Warn 5.5 my front Dana 30 has a WMS of 60.5". Asuming I use the Dana 60 inner-C and Knuckles I reckon the WMS will work out at 65" which is wider than I want to go. Looking at Dynatrac pro-rock its WMS is 63.5". Two questions, 1) does anybody have any close up pictures of a Dynatrac pro-rock 60 fitted to a TJ, particularly interested in seeing knuckles / TJ spring mounts and 2) any idea on how I might reduce WMS, are there different sized Dana 60 knuckles.

much appreciated
Mike C

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Going with rebuilder hubs as its far easier to repair etc, bearings supplier 10 minutes from home vs waiting for parts from the US. Taken a look at Blackbird site, will be getting in touch with them.

Over Christmas, been doing a lot of measuring. Even with Warn 5.5 my front Dana 30 has a WMS of 60.5". Asuming I use the Dana 60 inner-C and Knuckles I reckon the WMS will work out at 65" which is wider than I want to go. Looking at Dynatrac pro-rock its WMS is 63.5". Two questions, 1) does anybody have any close up pictures of a Dynatrac pro-rock 60 fitted to a TJ, particularly interested in seeing knuckles / TJ spring mounts and 2) any idea on how I might reduce WMS, are there different sized Dana 60 knuckles.

much appreciated
Mike C
Here is some picts of my Dynatrac pro rock 60 with Clayton high clearance brackets.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks WUSHAW, pcitures very useful along with the link to blackbird customs, nice Jeep. Quick update, after establishing that the axles were built by http://www.teraflex.biz I contacted Teraflex support and got in touch with Doug Henderson. Doug has helped me immensely by supplying all the dimensions required to retube the front axle so its identical to one Teraflex would supply for a TJ - superb service - means I by off the shelf parts rather than custom. Just waiting for my Dana 60 spindle socket to clear customs so I can strip front axle ready for retubing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts