Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a solid tip for identifying Dana 60's against Dana 70's in the boneyard.
Something as solid as kingpin vs' balljoint for the front 60 and older 8 lug front 44's.

The BOM #'s all start with a 60, and none of the other #'s help differentiate as far as I can tell.

The housings may or may not be stamped with identifying 60's or 70's. (The 70 under my '91 Dodge 250 CTD isn't stamped with shit, the free full floater I got from a '77 J20 has 60 stamped in it though.)

There is a noticeable difference in tube diameter between the two axles, but I have never seen a HD D60(which is what I am looking for), so I am not sure if that is a reliable gauge either.

I have read that the HD60 and the D70 both use the same spindle, so I can't go by outer spindle ID(inner diameter).

And I just checked the stampings on ring gears of both of the 5.89 D60 R&P I have(these gearsets are the reason I need a HD60, instead of the D70), and I didn't see anything saying D60 there either. I would prefer not to have to pull the covers to ID this in a junkyard anyway.

So...anybody know a solid, reliable way to tell them apart? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Blue Angel, that was pretty damn good advice. I'll check it out. :smokin:
Lee, there are HD60's that have 35 spline FF shafts, this is what I'm looking for. Just knowing that it has 35 spline shafts won't tell me whether I've found what I'm looking for, or just another D70 though. Thanks anyway. ;)
Anybody else?

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, here's a typical wall I'm running into:

I just measured(eyeballed w/measuring tape) the pinion stickout from a FF D60, a front 60, and the D70 that's under my truck.
There is no measurable difference in pinion stickout, all looked to be right at 1-5/8" stickout.

Which got me to wondering if my assumption was correct, that my rearend was a D70 since it was under a diesel truck.
So I wrote down all the numbers from the tubes, which according to this site should have included the BOM and the date of manufacture. It was neither. :shaking: (not neccessarily his fault, just frustrating)
I found the BOM on the diff tag, and verified through Patooyee's excellent BOM list that it was in fact a D70.

I could take Patooyee's BOM chart with me I guess. But I'm betting alot of the BOM #'s would be missing for one reason or another. And I'll be studying it later to get a grip on what type of donors to check under also.

Just wish there was an easier way.
So I guess I'm still looking for another way to tell the difference.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, as what I'm thinking sounds too easy. From what I understand, the 70 housing is bigger, but still uses a 60 cover, so look for the housing to be a bit exposed around the diff cover. Like in this pic.

Does the hd60 use a 70 chunk? or do most 70's use a special diff cover that would make this method of id wrong?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
shelljeep said:
OK, here's a typical wall I'm running into:

I just measured(eyeballed w/measuring tape) the pinion stickout from a FF D60, a front 60, and the D70 that's under my truck.
There is no measurable difference in pinion stickout, all looked to be right at 1-5/8" stickout.

Which got me to wondering if my assumption was correct, that my rearend was a D70 since it was under a diesel truck.
So I wrote down all the numbers from the tubes, which according to this site should have included the BOM and the date of manufacture. It was neither. :shaking: (not neccessarily his fault, just frustrating)
I found the BOM on the diff tag, and verified through Patooyee's excellent BOM list that it was in fact a D70.

I could take Patooyee's BOM chart with me I guess. But I'm betting alot of the BOM #'s would be missing for one reason or another. And I'll be studying it later to get a grip on what type of donors to check under also.

Just wish there was an easier way.
So I guess I'm still looking for another way to tell the difference.
OK let me explain myself better:

When looking from above the axle, the distance between the diff cover to the yoke is different between the 60 and 70. This distance is in the teens range, not 1-2".

I measured this a few times to differentiate between these two axles. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
kwrangln has got it...on the D70 the diff sticks below the cover.

sometimes, I will see a dana axle that does not have the model # cast into the housing, or it has rusted off, but the diff cover thing is surefire.

good luck finding a HD60, though, IIRC they only came in one application (something like 80's GM 1 ton DRW cutoff vans, and they weren't even the only axle available for the application).

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Davethorik said:
kwrangln has got it...on the D70 the diff sticks below the cover.

Cool deal, feel free to kick yourself now Shell. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kwranglin, Dave, Thanks!
I was hoping there was some simple trick. :smokin:
I just verified this on the 2 60's and the 70 I have and it seems right. :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce2:
Blue, I'll get those measurements posted up tonight, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Still looking, but at least I know what I'm looking AT now...

:cool2:
DetR6oit said:
My 70 doesn't though its a newer one from '94
I just ran the #'s on a rearend I found under a '93 3/4 ton Dodge. It had a lip sticking out from under the cover mebbe 1/4" at most, only along a portion of the bottom edge. It was a D70.

I measured the 2 D60's I have, a front and a FF rear, both measured 14.5" with the tape stretched tight across the curve of the top of the housing from the cover to the edge of the pinion bore.
The D70 under my truck went 15 3/8" when measured the same way.

All of the BOM's I have found have been on diff tags, and all are covered on Patoyee's list so far.

Lee, it would be good to hear what your measurements are.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I didn't follow the bend of the housing. From where the cover bolts up to the end of the housingn on the pinion
Chevy 60: 14"
Dodge 70: 15.25"

Measurements aren't exact because it was getting dark and the light wasn't good while I was laying under the Heep :D

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
All dana 70's tubes neck down at the drum. 60's are strait...thats the easiest way to tell the difference

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lee, thanks, not perfectly accurate is OK I think, at least we had someone else verify there is a noticeable difference in housing length.

MC, another good tip, cool :smokin: . I remember a 14 bolt that I had was machined down where it entered the carrier, and I see that the D70 I have under my Dodge is cut down similarly. One look at the cover tells the difference there though, not to mention the bolts around the pinion housing.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can't reliably go with the cover/pig fitment or the axle tube profile to differentiate D60 from D70. :shaking:

Some D70 covers have more flange (I have one), so you won't necessarily see extra cast surface around it once installed. And is also going to depend on how meaty the pig is in the first place.

Some Chevy D70's have constant diameter tubes - others may be as well.

Pinion length is the winner ;)

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
or the obvious 70 stamped on the housing web :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts