Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a cheap dana 70 for my truck and was wondering just how strong those weird tractor type joints in the closed knuckles really are. It came out of a 70s dodge w300. I have never seen anything like them before. They look stronger than a u joint but i have a feeling they would be hard to find to replace. And any tips for improvement or the best way to keep those things lubed in that closed knuckle would be appreciated.

·
Registered
577 Posts

mine broke the first time i used it after installing a locker. it broke right at that funny looking joint. i thought somebody refered to it as a repezza at one time.anyway i sold it and the guy who bought it of me put open knuckle 60 ends on it.the 35 spline stuff fit right in it after putting a latter model 70 carrier.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You can convert these to 35 spline parts very easily.

The closed knuckles keep dirt out. And it is a kingpin style. Convert it to 35-spline and you're golden! They are called tracta-joints.

steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
We're having a hard time finding all the parts for the closed knuckles. Wipers and felt seals are getting scarce up here.
On a few trucks, we have taken the 70's from Skyjackers (which are new units but have no outer brakes) and put 60 ends on them. Also sourced seal combo's for the axle tube to help keep the crap out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also run a front 70 and will probably need parts in the future...

I was told this place had everything u will ever need......

http://sixstates.com/

Just get your BOM # off the axle tube so they can get you the correct parts.

Lemme know what you findout....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks a lot for the advice you guys, i think ill just run what i have till it breaks first then go for the 35 splines and a locker up front

1 - 8 of 8 Posts