Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the dana 60 kingpin rebuild kits will work on the dana 70s? I got one that's really bad, gets death wobble when you hit a bump.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OS, you still got that 258 bell? I need one that is a solid bulkhead where the tranny bolts on, is yours like that?

·
Registered
76 Posts
txs,
I have rebuilt the dana 70 kingpins off a '72ish IH 1 ton. No they where not the same as a dana 60. The kingpin bearings I got at Napa, don't recall the number I just took the old bearings down and matched 'em up. The upper bearings are bronze bushings and as far as I could find unavailable. Mine were in good shape so I reused them. I don't see why you couldn't get bearings for the top too. You have to shim them for correct pre-load anyway. I could not find the shims anywhere though, and I've even got a dana part number.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rr, preload would imply tapered roller top and bottom, how would you preload a bushing?

·
Registered
76 Posts
txs,
Sorry I wasn't a little clearer on the bushing. The lower kingpin is a tapered roller bearing with more angle to the taper then a wheel bearing. The upper kingpin is a tapered bushing in a race that looks just like the lower race. That is why I said you could probly get a bearing for the top if your bushing was trashed. The shims go between the kingpin "stud" and the knuckle. Hope this helps. Tear into your's, If you can't cross the bearings at a parts place pm me. I may still have the bearing boxes somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts