Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I need info's that I can't get in Germany.

I'd buy a D70U from a '84 F250 Snowfighter for 50 € ($). Now I'll like to buy a Detroit Locker for this Axle.

I only find the Detroit Soft Locker for the U, but I want to drive the Detroit Locker.

Now, I would like to know if the D70 (HD) locker fits into the U and where are the differences between the 70U,Standard and HD locker.

I'd search the board for Infos but I can't find that, what I want to know. ;)

Greets, Pierre

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
The Detroit Soft Locker is the new version of the Detroit Locker.
The manufacturer made some modifications to the original design
abou 5 - 6 years ago to make it smoother and less noisy. It's
just as strong as the original and is still a "full carrier" locker.

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Looks like you snagged a pretty good axle... As the other guy said, the soft locker is the more friendly version of the detroit.. but just as strong.. ive run 3 of them and never broke them. the 70 HD uses dana 80 carrier bearings... so i doubt the detroit for the HD will accept standard 70 side bearings. A cool thing about the 70U is that it has a smooth bottom.. good for the rocky stuff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Azzy2000 said:
the 70 HD uses dana 80 carrier bearings... so i doubt the detroit for the HD will accept standard 70 side bearings.
And what are the differences between the 70 and 70 U locker ? Fits the 70 locker in a 70 U ?

I'd heard that the offset cogwheels are stronger in a "U" as in a normal 70.
Is it right ?

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
//////// And what are the differences between the 70 and 70 U locker ? Fits the 70 locker in a 70 U ?

I'd heard that the offset cogwheels are stronger in a "U" as in a normal 70.
Is it right ? ////////

I dont believe there is a difference between the 70 and 70U internally.. Also not sure what youre talking about is offset..?
If youre talking about the strength of the side gears or spider gears.. it wont matter if youre going to replace them with a detroit locker. The only thing i KNOW that is different between the 70 and 70U is the main casting.. Axle tube diameters and thicknesses will differ depending on what it was used in and what year.. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spider Gears.............that's the word i searched ;)

Axle tubes etc. does not matter..........

I would like to know, if I can put a Detroit Locker from Dana 70 in a Dana 70 U. If the Lockers between 70 and 70U exchangeble.

My school english is not so good and I must search specific words in Babylon to translate them. An then I wrote things like "offset...." ......

But I hope you guys can understand me and know what i mean.

Greets, Pierre

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi !

I found another difference between the 70 and 70 U.
The 70 U have a inner pinion bearing, the 70 not !

Can anybody tell me which online Shop had good prieces and where I can get my stuff by the same dealer (Install kit, R&P, Detroit Locker) ?
I found prices for the Detroit Locker between 300$ and 600$. Now I'm confused. Are that prices for the same thing ? Is that right ?

Or is there any dealer here that can make me an offer incl. shipping to Germany ? I know that in the US are dealers that promote with a german speaking hotline. Anybody there ?

Ok, I know by reading the board, that this was a JU question, but please help an german stupid :D

Greets, Pierre

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Pierre said:
Hi !

I found another difference between the 70 and 70 U.
The 70 U have a inner pinion bearing, the 70 not !

Can anybody tell me which online Shop had good prieces and where I can get my stuff by the same dealer (Install kit, R&P, Detroit Locker) ?
I found prices for the Detroit Locker between 300$ and 600$. Now I'm confused. Are that prices for the same thing ? Is that right ?

I've never heard of a dana 70 with a 3rd pinion bearing... BUT, the GM 10.5" 14 bolt does have a 3rd pinion bearing. I think you are mistaking the 70U for the 14 bolt.. Same thing as far as detroit lokcer prices, $300 for a 14 bolt, close to $600 for the 70.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here where i found this infos:

3rd Bearing Link

300$ Detroit Locker for the 70:
Link

And now ?

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Pierre said:
Here where i found this infos:

3rd Bearing Link

300$ Detroit Locker for the 70:
Link

And now ?
ALL Dana 70's use an inner pinion bearing... the 70U just happens to use a different pinion bearing than the 70B, 70HD, or the 70-3HD... heres the info from your quote...

"The 70U can be identified because it uses an inner pinion bearing / race number HM803149-HM803110."

As far as the locker prices... i can see the 2 piece case dana 70 detroit locker being priced at 299.00 , but i think they have the prices switched between the second dana 70 listing 299.00 ( 1 piece case) and the GM 14 bolt... on their site, the 14 bolt locker lists for 529.00!! anywhere else it is 300.00

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HI !

Ok, now i know what's up with the inner pinion bearing ;)

And you think the price for the locker is a failure ? Damn, but asking him (the dealer) cost nothing ;)

What du you think is the best place to buy my stuff ?

Thanks and Greets, Pierre

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.