Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i know im the new guy on here but that dose'nt mean i cannot be useful with the teck and such im building a dana 70 front on the cheap mostly ebay parts and junkyards stuff and a few things from members of pirates and such i bought this stuff over the course of 7 months so the outa pocket was'st bad at all just 100 every payday or so my parts list goes as follows

Dana 35 spline 70-HD $100
from U-pull Tucson

stock inners from pirates $100

35 spline outers Ebay $120

Dana 60 outer knuckles $150
with tube off Ebay

stock outer dana 60
knuckles with all the
bolts and goodies ebay $100

Dana 60 spildles ebay $50

brand new set of Dana $100
60 hubs and rotors
off ebay

bearings for front hubs $Free

still need a couple more
parts but just little shit like seals and stuff might narow the long side if its too wide but here are the pics i got of all the stuff befor i clean it cut a perfectly good low mileage dana 70hd apart and weld some shit my axle shafts are on the way so i cant put it together yet put will prolly by this weekend its all going under my big green 79 yota for now im gonna keep the 410 in the front and run yes a toyota rear axle till i get a dana 80 or another 70hd and dont tell me the shits to big less ground clearance bla bla bla i know ive reserched it all now its go time
dana 70 compared to a toyota 8inch carrier

random picks when i got the 70 home

more comparing toyota to the 70

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Were you having problems with breakage before??

Okay... I'm a little hungover and could be wrong, but isn't that a dana 70 REAR and NOT a front? :laughing:

·
Registered
758 Posts

Okay... I'm a little hungover and could be wrong, but isn't that a dana 70 REAR and NOT a front? :laughing:
C'mon I expected more from you Kaptain!
My take is he will retube the axle and run D60 outers to make a FRONT axle from the rear axle. :smokin:
BTW a buddy in Sealy, TX is doing the same with a D80 Center section as he keep destroying 60 R&P's on his big heavy chevy.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
My take is he will retube the axle and run D60 outers to make a FRONT axle from the rear axle. :smokin:
BTW a buddy in Sealy, TX is doing the same with a D80 Center section as he keep destroying 60 R&P's on his big heavy chevy.
I told you that I am hungover... :flipoff2:

That d70 ring gear really makes the yota stuff look weak :eek:

Anyway, it's obvious that he knows what he's doing - let's see more pics

·
Registered
758 Posts
Question for the OP. IIRC the D60 diff cover is the same as the D70, so is the housing clearance the same or less? I could only imagine less. Any chance on clearancing?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The covers aren't the same but the 60 cover will fit the front of the 70 and can be clearanced to a 60 through cutting the pumpkin to basically the same lines as the 60 cover. It is a lot of cutting though (read - start with a portaband before you ever even look at your grinder)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

ya kaptain ive broke so many ring and pinions and axle shaft ive even broke a long and im steping up from 39s to 42s plus i just moved to arizona and i need to step my game up

MaXXis85 ill have pics and explain exactly how its all gonna happen when i get home from work just bear with me and you'll understand but the jist of it is the outer dieamiter of the dana 60 tubes i have are the same inner diamiter of the dana 70hd 4 inch tubes so im gonna sleeve them together and turn my two 1/2 inch thick axle tubes into one peace 1 inch thick shes gonna be heavy and it will be a nice big rock magnet

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
o and before i start this build im gonna have to give credit to the person who set my mind in motion about this "hybrid-theory" built one if you look on the dana 70 thread in gen4x4 its in there but no write up he just built one so i want to show how its done but all props goes to him about the idea

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My wife puts up with alot of shit, but tearing a transfer case down on the living room floor would be over the top. Besides that I dont want to smell 90w for months afterwards. LOL

Props to you for thinking outside the box on the D70 front though. BTW how much is that bitch gonna weigh?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife puts up with alot of shit, but tearing a transfer case down on the living room floor would be over the top. Besides that I dont want to smell 90w for months afterwards. LOL

Props to you for thinking outside the box on the D70 front though. BTW how much is that bitch gonna weigh?
it was my wifes idea to rebuild it in the living room didnt smell though cleaned them really good

i think off the top of my head it weighs without drums spindles of axles like close to 300. with all the other stuff and double thick axle tubes its gonna probably weigh more than the fucking truck but i will weigh it when i get the chance

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for though's who want to know my reasoning behind it and my over all goal is this

"REASON"
because every one has a dana 60, and to completly rebuild a dana 60 re gear it get a locker and narrow it change the caster to suite your needs get after market shafts
high steer and other things your looking at almost or more than three grand.

goals make it cheaper than most stock dana 60s you can buy used for like 1700 so im not trying to be a cheapskate just build it for under that price as of now my running total is

$ 720 and that includes shipping.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts