Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across a set of dana 70's from an old power wagon. i was told they were dana 60's, so i went to pick them up and they were 70's. i brought them home but i'm not sure what to do with them. what would they be good for? it seems that 70 (closed knuckle) fronts aren't that popular/desirable.
what would they be worth? 4.88 gears and supposedly has a locker in the rear.

thanks,

·
Registered
175 Posts
A front 70 dang man never heard of one of those... :flipoff2: Not sure they exist besides custom. What kind of locker is in the rear and is it ford or chevy where do you live. I would say they are worth depending on what front axle it is and what locker and condition they are in around $1200.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
IIRC, they are a low-spline count version & are not near as strong as later axles.

Power Wagon = Dodge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i came across a set of dana 70's from an old power wagon. i was told they were dana 60's, so i went to pick them up and they were 70's. i brought them home but i'm not sure what to do with them. what would they be good for? it seems that 70 (closed knuckle) fronts aren't that popular/desirable.
what would they be worth? 4.88 gears and supposedly has a locker in the rear.
I found a set of these several years ago. I have a '66 Power Wagon W200 and figured it would be a good uprgade. The PW has a D44/D60 combo, 16-spline axles, 4.88 r&ps with factory installed Powerloc in the rear (that's probably what your set has). The D70s I found were set up the same and looked really good until I found out I couldn't get new u-joints for the closed-knuckle front axle (one of them was broken) from Dana or from any of the parts places in town. There might be some NOS lying around a warehouse someplace.

There's nothing wrong with closed-knuckle axles, except that parts are getting scarce. These axles would be better off used in a restoration project. Axle technology has vastly improved since the 1960s so there's no sense on putting old tech like this on a newer 4x4, especially one that is actively used, if this is what you were thinking about doing.

IIRC the set I was looking at was priced at $700 or $800.

You might post your questions to the Power Wagon Advertiser Forums
http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/index.php

1 - 5 of 5 Posts