Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been looking a lot into whether I should use a Dana 70 or Corp 14 bolt for the rear of my rig.
After reading about 30 pages of info comparing the two (damn I love you crazy, knowledgable bastids), it has come down to this...

It seems the 14 bolt is a little stronger (third pinion bearing and larger pinion shaft), cheaper and easier to find, and easier to work on (especially since I learned how to set gears in one and it has the removable pinion).
The 70 can have 35 spline shafts, and is better for more locker selections (I don't care, want a Detroit anyway), but has deeper gears. I would prefer a 5.38 ratio, maybe even a 5.83 (going to run 44s), but could deal with the 14 bolt's 5.13 limit if I had to.
Sounds like the 14 bolt is more what I want.

But, in my reading a came across the Dana 70U. Sounds to me the smooth bottom would be a HUGE plus on the rocks, and makes me want to look for one. But what I couldn't find...

MY QUESTION~ Does the Dana 70U have less locker/gear/after market parts than a standard 70? I don't want to get one, think I'm the shit, then realize there are few parts for it, and have those parts cost an arm and a leg.

Also, how hard would it be to get the 14 bolt, cut ribs down a bit, and weld on some extra metal and grind the piss out of it to make it n ice and smooth?

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are no 5.38 for the 70 though. I ended up with 5.13's the next lowest jump is all the way down to 5.89

·
Registered
323 Posts
The 70U is the same as the 70HD except for the pinion bearings. The HD has a much larger set of pinion bearings. The gears lockers and every thing else should be the same for both axles.

Stay away from older dana 70 with the two piece carriers and ten spline axles. Your choices are limited on the older 70s.

I have run a 70U for the past four years and have had no problem. I found one at 65" WMS to WMS which was perfect for my application. I paied $200 and simiply rebuilt the unit and added disc brakes. If you find one the right width it's a cheap and easy way to have 35 spline inners and full floating hubs.

Oh yeah the smooth housing is definatly a plus. I have beat the shiznit out of mine and have had no problems. I slide over stuff most 60s and 14 bolts get hung up on.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Gears are the same as any other d70 R&P. I have one under my Heep and your free to check it out if needed...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK, that sounds pretty good. I'm looking for full width, so as long as it's not up in the 70's WMS to WMS it's good. I had been thinkin 5.83 or 5.38 gears, and it seems like 5.83 might be a little too low, so it looks like I'm still stuck with 5.13s (assuming my other option is the 14 bolt).
Did you guys shave the 70U even though it's smooth, or just leave it alone?
Also, what did you guys get yours out of? Any idea what years/models they were made and which are strongest?

Thanks a ton!

*Oh, could I see some pics of your guys' rigs? Post em, or PM me, or Email me [email protected] Thanks!

·
5,599 Posts
Lubes said:
OK, that sounds pretty good. I'm looking for full width, so as long as it's not up in the 70's WMS to WMS it's good. I had been thinkin 5.83 or 5.38 gears, and it seems like 5.83 might be a little too low, so it looks like I'm still stuck with 5.13s (assuming my other option is the 14 bolt).
Also, what did you guys get yours out of? Any idea what years/models they were made and which are strongest?

Thanks a ton!

*Oh, could I see some pics of your guys' rigs? Post em, or PM me, or Email me [email protected] Thanks!
Mine is not a 70U its just a 70, from a 76 F350 2wd. It had like 3/4-1in size lip that was easily ground off. There is plenty metal left no need to weld on supports and it has better clearance then my d60 front...

Who has tried swapping hubs on d70s to get different widths? Are the spindles the same on the 70 70U and 70HD?
Or are the Hubs the same with different bearings?
Im not worried about swapping the drums.

I want mine to be 67in WMS!!

Ive read about 14bolt interchangeabiliby of hubs on 14bolts but not d70s on different d70s....

Thanks,

I grinded it till I was halfway into the cover. This is before grinding.

This is not a good closeup, but there is nuthing below the cover and Its grinded half wayinto the cover...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Lubes said:
I left mine as it is, the smooth egg shaped bottom has more clearance than the last dana 60 I had. Slides right over rocks and is tough as shit!!!

I no pics, sorry. I got mine from an 85' F250HD, 65" wms-wms and the beefy 35 spline axle shafts. Dodges had them too, some were 32 spline though. There is a d70U at the sidewinder auto salvage yard (Denver), around 53rd. and Brighton blvd. I believe they wanted $100 bones for it.

I had a 14 bolt in there before this and by going to the 70U, I saved about 150+ lbs.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
70, 70B, 70U & 70HD

The Original Diesel said:
The 70U is the same as the 70HD except for the pinion bearings. The HD has a much larger set of pinion bearings. The gears lockers and every thing else should be the same for both axles.

Stay away from older dana 70 with the two piece carriers and ten spline axles. Your choices are limited on the older 70s.

I have run a 70U for the past four years and have had no problem. I found one at 65" WMS to WMS which was perfect for my application. I paied $200 and simiply rebuilt the unit and added disc brakes. If you find one the right width it's a cheap and easy way to have 35 spline inners and full floating hubs.

Oh yeah the smooth housing is definatly a plus. I have beat the shiznit out of mine and have had no problems. I slide over stuff most 60s and 14 bolts get hung up on.
The standard 70 uses a .500" offset pinion, most of these came with 23 spline axles, other than the pinion offset and the .500" offset gear sets and 23 spline axles it will accept everything that any other 70 will take. By taking .125 off of the carrier mount face and putting in some 35 spline axles it, it becomes almost a 70 B. A 70 B is now what most people think of as a standard 70. A 70 U is the same as a 70 B with the exception of the inner pinion bearing which uses the same ID as any other 70 and uses the same bearing cup as a 60. A 70 HD uses different carrier bearings than the rest of the 70s. There are some other differences but this covers most of what is the same and what is different under the cover. As for that 2 piece open carrier, that allows you to use the Detroit that raplaces the internal parts (cross, side gears, spiders and thrust washers) which makes this Detroit about the same cost as the one for the 14 bolt. While I mentioned that a standard 70 uses a .500" offset pinion I should also mention that the rest of the 70s use a .625" offset pinion.

Gus

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking at a 2003 Ford Dana 60 front, don't remember what the actual width is, but I'd like my rear to be close without having to do too much work.
I also don't care at all about the weight, my original plans were to run Rockwells. I figure the more weight UNDER the frame, the lower center of gravity and better chance of staying right side up I'll have.
I would really like 5.38s, anyone know for sure that the 70U can't take em?
Thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
automatic trans diesel and v10 rams have d70u's. i believe they are 32 spline, but thats easily fixable by getting the detroit in a 35 spine and getting matching shafts. years are 94-02.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
the spline count is not going to make a huge difference considering that both the 70 and the 14 bolt have the same size shafts. the 14botl uses an unusual spline pitch on a 1.5 inch shaft and has 30 splines.the 70 uses standard spline pitch and has 35 splines. the reason you see huge differences on all the charts you see around is becuase they are showing the difference with standard spline pitch, which increases with diameter.

if you want a smooth bottom and have to settle (or chose) a 14botl, look for the earlier housings without the ribs. you can find them in early 70's to early 80's 3/4 tons.

-Scott

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sclemons, what front would you recommend then? The only driver side drop 60 fronts I know of are Dodge and Ford, and I've heard from many people that the Ford is the better, stronger of the two (I want HP front so it's on the drive side of the gear). Also, the guy I'm buying it fron will include a 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern.

It doesn't look like the 32 or 35 spline thing is a big different, as long as it's one of those. But I really would like confirmation on the gears. I'd rather the 70U (or if any other 70's came with the really smooth bottom) over the 14 bolt, mosty because I want gears at either 5.38 or 5.83. Are those available for the smooth 70s?
This is gonna be 44's running behind the power of the 4.0L and TF999, so I want em deep. I would like to be able to drive this on the street (around town). So whichever gears would make it m ost like my 4.56s and 35s, maybe a little lower for more torque, to help move those fatties. I should be OK on the rocks, I have a 4:1 low right now, and will probobly go Atlas 5 when the 231 goes out.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
the 5.86 gears will be no problem with 44's. i used to run that gear in my 70u with 38sx's at highway speed with no OD at 60-65. spins the motor a little but your gonna need it with the 4.0. and yes, the 70u is as smooth as a babys bottom(at least 70u was).;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Lubes said:
sclemons, what front would you recommend then? The only driver side drop 60 fronts I know of are Dodge and Ford, and I've heard from many people that the Ford is the better, stronger of the two (I want HP front so it's on the drive side of the gear). Also, the guy I'm buying it fron will include a 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern.
My 70U came from a 1984 F-250HD single wheel. I use a front D60 from an '87 F-350.

The F-350's used a kingpin D60 front from mid-85 until around '92, then switched to a balljoint version.

·
Registered
467 Posts
ashmanjeepXJ said:
So what about my hub, WMS questions!

What are the differences between d70 rear hubs?
I want to swap mine to get me to 67in WMS....
I have wondered this myself as I am currently about 67"if IIRC on mine and would like to go narrower to match my D60 front. :eek:

-RJ

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
I know later mid 80's F250Hd's used that axle. I do not know when they started, but in mid 85 they switched to a 10.25. I'm pretty sure 1-tons in that era used the same axle, but there may be diffences from the duals.
-John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts