Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I should look for a 85-92 front Ford HP 60? Will it take a 5.83 ratio to match the 70U rear's 5.86s?
And are all 70U's 35 spline, or should I look for p articular years/models to get it out of?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
ashmanjeepXJ said:
So what about my hub, WMS questions!

What are the differences between d70 rear hubs?
I want to swap mine to get me to 67in WMS....
I think it depends entirely on application and tube/axle length. That is, all of the D70s I have seen (not many, I'll admit) had similar hubs. It's not like a 14 where they kept the housing the same and just swapped the WMS offset on the hub.

That said, the 70U could be found anywhere from 65" to 72" wide, maybe even more. I went through the Dana Expert site a while back looking at Ford applications, and it looked like they ended up in a bunch of E350 chassis vans in the early- and mid-80s. Those were probably the wider ones -- the F-series were all about 65" WMS.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The Original Diesel said:
The 70U is the same as the 70HD except for the pinion bearings. The HD has a much larger set of pinion bearings. The gears lockers and every thing else should be the same for both axles.

Stay away from older dana 70 with the two piece carriers and ten spline axles. Your choices are limited on the older 70s.

I have run a 70U for the past four years and have had no problem. I found one at 65" WMS to WMS which was perfect for my application. I paied $200 and simiply rebuilt the unit and added disc brakes. If you find one the right width it's a cheap and easy way to have 35 spline inners and full floating hubs.

Oh yeah the smooth housing is definatly a plus. I have beat the shiznit out of mine and have had no problems. I slide over stuff most 60s and 14 bolts get hung up on.
  • The only parts that will interchange from the dana 70HD to the dana 70U is the gear set and the yoke, that is it. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Lubes said:
I'm looking at a 2003 Ford Dana 60 front, don't remember what the actual width is, but I'd like my rear to be close without having to do too much work.
I also don't care at all about the weight, my original plans were to run Rockwells. I figure the more weight UNDER the frame, the lower center of gravity and better chance of staying right side up I'll have.
I would really like 5.38s, anyone know for sure that the 70U can't take em?
Thanks.
  • The single wheel ford 60 front for this year is 69 1/2" WMS to WMS, the only 70 rear to match this is from the ford E350 van, 69" WMS to WMS, BUT there are no 5.38 for the dana 70. The best way to go is the dodge dana 80 rear single wheel, 70" WMS to WMS and the 5.38 gear is available and this uint has ABS, BUT the std. 8 lug will need to be changed to 170 MM . steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fuck this all hurts my head.
The 2003 front HP 60 was going to come machined to fit 8 on 6.5", rather than the stock 8 on whatever mm. But it sounds like I should go Ford 85-92, for the strength issues.
So the deepest the HP 60 will take it 5.38.
The 70U can take a 5,13 or 5.86, but does NOT have 5.38.
And the Corp 14 bolt only goes as low as 5.13.

So if I'm looking at 5.38 or 5.83s, and want the strong enough axles to hold up to the torque and 44s, what combo should I choose? I was wanting the HP front so it was on the drive side of the gear, so I'm limited to 5.38. But neither rear axle I was looking at will fit 5.38s. Does the Dodge Dana 80 take these, or do I have to find a whole new axle option for the front?

THANKS SO MUCH!

·
5,599 Posts
Lubes said:
Fuck this all hurts my head.
The 2003 front HP 60 was going to come machined to fit 8 on 6.5", rather than the stock 8 on whatever mm. But it sounds like I should go Ford 85-92, for the strength issues.
So the deepest the HP 60 will take it 5.38.
The 70U can take a 5,13 or 5.86, but does NOT have 5.38.
And the Corp 14 bolt only goes as low as 5.13.

So if I'm looking at 5.38 or 5.83s, and want the strong enough axles to hold up to the torque and 44s, what combo should I choose? I was wanting the HP front so it was on the drive side of the gear, so I'm limited to 5.38. But neither rear axle I was looking at will fit 5.38s. Does the Dodge Dana 80 take these, or do I have to find a whole new axle option for the front?

THANKS SO MUCH!
The d60 front d80 rear was stated as an option..

or
You could get a 67in WMS Full Float dana 60 rear, machine out the spindles to give clearance for some 1.5in 35 spline axles, and swap to a 35 spline carrier in that d60. that dana 60 would accept the 5.38 gears you want and have the axle strength your looking for.

The d80 would be easier, cheeper, the d60 would be more bling.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OK, so the cheap/easy way (my way) is the HP 60 front with 80 rear, and 5.38s, trim the piss outta both, and hope my 4.0L will push 44s. If I really want the 5.83s (which I haven't decided yet), I could go standard 60 front and 70U rear, shave the front and be happy with the baby's bottom rear... and also have the 6.17 option, or will the 70U not go that low?
This leaves me with 2 questions...
What is the clearance like of the Dana 80, compared to 70 and a 14 bolt?
And if you had the 4.0L and 3 speed auto, and were going to be doing some city driving (hell I'd like it to at least go on the highway, maybe not keep up with everyone but at least go 60), what gears would you want?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Nope, hadn't Blackbird, but I've been toying with putting rear disks on my 70 for awhile now. 44's don't stop all that well with only front disks...one of my buddies went to rear disk also and it made all the difference. You should post this in the Vendor forum if you haven't. Good to see more options.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: 70, 70B, 70U & 70HD

speedo said:

The standard 70 uses a .500" offset pinion, most of these came with 23 spline axles, other than the pinion offset and the .500" offset gear sets and 23 spline axles it will accept everything that any other 70 will take. By taking .125 off of the carrier mount face and putting in some 35 spline axles it, it becomes almost a 70 B. A 70 B is now what most people think of as a standard 70. A 70 U is the same as a 70 B with the exception of the inner pinion bearing which uses the same ID as any other 70 and uses the same bearing cup as a 60. A 70 HD uses different carrier bearings than the rest of the 70s. There are some other differences but this covers most of what is the same and what is different under the cover. As for that 2 piece open carrier, that allows you to use the Detroit that raplaces the internal parts (cross, side gears, spiders and thrust washers) which makes this Detroit about the same cost as the one for the 14 bolt. While I mentioned that a standard 70 uses a .500" offset pinion I should also mention that the rest of the 70s use a .625" offset pinion.

Gus
Don't forget the 70-2UA (Dodge) and 70-3UHD (GM) with a 31/32" pinion offset. Dodge's 2UA came with 3.07 and GM's 3UHD ran 3.42 or so. Both ca. 89-91 production.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So does that mean the 70 and 70U can accept all the same ratios and lockers? And the standard 70 will not take a 5.38? I was under the impression there was a small difference.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts